Author Topic: Grease is the word  (Read 3112 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Grease is the word
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
I just tried to grease my swinging arm bearings. Despite a lot of back pressure, and much grease oozing out all over around the nipple, I didn't see any grease come out around the swinging arm / frame joint.

I wonder if the little balls in the grease nipples could be seized, if there's a blockage, or indeed if some grease has gone where intended and I shouldn't worry about it? There is no play in the swinging arm, and the bike probably had new bearings, as everything else seems to have been replaced, and zero miles run, before the bike's disastrous post rebuild engine problems (see the 'Oil Pressure' thread in the CB750 forum) came to light. Hopefully they greased the parts when the bike was restored but there's no way of checking other than disassembly, which I don't want to do now she is running.

And yes, I know I should have thought of this while the engine was out.  >:(
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Grease is the word
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 05:32:37 PM »
You should pump grease in until it oozes out and re-grease every thousand miles or so.
If you think a nipple is stuck up just swap it its not like there a lot of money.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
The grease nipples are a knock in type not screw in and an odd size only used by Honda, you can tap a thread in the bolt and fit normal nipples if you are not anal about originality.
If you fit Honda ones DO NOT hit on the end or you will not get any grease through them, only hit on the flange with a hollow drift---T shirt available

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
It doesn't sound that simple to replace them after all.

I have been poking my nipple balls  ::) with a stout wire from my carb cleaning kit. One moved freely, the other one does now.

It may be my technique, it may be my grease gun isn't a good fit, but a lot went everywhere rather than in the bearing. Maybe because its tight then not a lot goes in.

1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »
Sounds like the nipples are damaged to me, try a different grease gun and hold it on tight. I have a spare bolt and would modify it to screw in ones for you on an exchange basis then all you have to do is undo the nut and push one bolt out with the other, OK the nut would be on the other side but you have to be nit picky to pick that up.

You need to grease these every 1000 miles MINIMUM as the collar wears more than the bushes and is damned expensive to replace

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 01:46:10 PM »
Sounds like the nipples are damaged to me, try a different grease gun and hold it on tight. I have a spare bolt and would modify it to screw in ones for you on an exchange basis then all you have to do is undo the nut and push one bolt out with the other, OK the nut would be on the other side but you have to be nit picky to pick that up.

You need to grease these every 1000 miles MINIMUM as the collar wears more than the bushes and is damned expensive to replace

I have noticed a little bit of play in my swingarm bushes,does the bushes wear more than the shaft? or do I need to replace all?
CB500 bike
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 07:29:26 PM »
You won't know until you take it apart.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 07:37:57 PM »
You won't know until you take it apart.

it should get through MOT next week,so something to think about ,thanks Trigger
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
I always found if there was play you needed both the bushes and the collar to fix it

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 10:50:26 PM »
I'd like to take up your kind offer Bryanj as long as you'll wait for mine as exchange until I've swapped spindles rather than drift it out and send it off. I can't get grease in and don't want to wear the bushes out unnecessarily. 8)

Plan B would be knock it out and see if I can find a blockage.

Can I remove the spindle with the bike on the stand without dismantling everything.?
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 06:42:31 AM »
Not unless you put another one in and its the bolt you are changing, to change the collar and bushes the swing arm needs to come completely out

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »
You could remove it in situ, but you would benefit by taking the shocks off and supporting the wheel, but if it moves it will be a pain to get back in.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
Or use a bar of the correct diameter to knock it out, leave it there while you sort the pivot bolt, then tap it out with the repaired bolt.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »
In the scheme of things its no big deal for me to take the wheel out and undo the shock lower mounts.

My main query is if I have another pin ready can I knock one out with the other? That way I could install one with screw in nipples and not be left with a bike in bits. If it had to be apart for any length of time I could imagine it getting left until winter, not good for the bushes if I do 3,000 miles this year as planned.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
Yes you can, that's what Bryan was saying, but the but nut would end up on the wrong side. If you use a piece of bar to tap the pivot out, sort the grease nipples, the n use the pivot to tap the bar out, you can put it back the right way round.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal