Author Topic: Gaskets - to grease or not to grease  (Read 670 times)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Gaskets - to grease or not to grease
« on: March 23, 2017, 07:40:47 AM »
No subject on earth brings up more differing opinions. The only reason I can see to grease a gasket such as a cylinder base/head gasket seems to be that if you need to pull the bike apart again it rescues the gasket. Is there any other reason for greasing the gasket, because I would never reuse engine gaskets on principle. I intend to put mine on dry - am I correct?
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Re: Gaskets - to grease or not to grease
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:18:32 AM »
If Honda intended their gaskets to seal properly through a layer of grease they would tell you to use it, they didn't.

That said I have recently spent hours scraping away at stuck on gaskets, but they weren't leaking.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »
Genuine gaskets will seal perfectly well fitted dry. Greasing them makes them easier to remove when a casing has to be opened for whatever reason. I grease gaskets, just because it saves a lot of hassle and time removing traces of old gasket before fitting new replacement. I agree that re using old gaskets is not a good idea, they are relatively cheap compared to having to do the job again because of a leak! I grease all gaskets except head gaskets.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »
Right guys, based on the words of two SOHC officianados I am going to put them on dry in the full expectation that I won't be taking them off again in the near future. Thanks for your help
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal