Author Topic: Gauge Repair  (Read 1475 times)

DaveB

Re: Gauge Repair
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
Fair to say the bands on the larger gauges are not too easy to fold back, the gauge needs to be clamped to compress the rubber seals to get the band edge above the base flange and to ensure the body isn't loose on the base. A drill press with a piece of 6mm round stock in the chuck is utilized, the gauge is simply revolved and pressed back to the base flange. A very reasonable appearance on the underside can be achieved but this can't be seen when fitted. The wood block is made of several pieces of MAF glued together, this protects the top edge of the band and the paint finish on the body.

It's a bit of a task forming the wood block but it might be possible to use a piece of plastic drain pipe that the gauge will drop into up to the band if the pipe is marginally too big a cut along the length and closed up with a couple of hose clips might work. I've not tried that and only thought about the possibility have made about 4 blocks to suite various size gauges over the years.

Very many thanks for the explanation of your method. I can see how you could achieve a reasonable appearance and reseal the gauges properly using this method. Does it also work as well with new rings? I'm curious because I reverted to using the old ring simply because the edge was already slightly bent over (and it it had been weakened with the removal). The new rings have no such pre bend as such and so the edge sits bolt upright in relation to the gauge and I couldn't even get one to start bending. This could well have been through fear of not wanting to break anything of course. Anyway, could you please let me know if your same method works with new rings or if you have to use a different technique.

Many thanks,
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:22:46 AM by DaveB »

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
Ash, I just use a piece of MDF with an oval hole in it and the gauge is just a tight fit to prevent the bezel spreading outwards. There's another piece of MDF stuck underneath to bring it to the correct height. Also on assembly using the drill press method the bezel won't distort.

The second question on the subject of the replica CB750F bands, I've never fitted one as I've always re-used the original and it's entirely possible if it's removed correctly. I did see a comment on here regarding the replica bands and I seemed to remember the forum member found they were too big. If that's the case they would be difficult to fit as there is so little material to fold over the base flange. 

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal