Author Topic: Air box rubber gasket all twisted  (Read 793 times)

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Air box rubber gasket all twisted
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
I'm sorting out an air box for the F2 I'm on with. The rubber gasket has at some stage been put on and allowed to get twisted out of shape. Does any one know of a method of reforming it back to its original shape. I'm sure at some point I've heard or read something, (or was it a dream I had).

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Air box rubber gasket all twisted
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:41:04 PM »
Let it soak in V hot water for a bit.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »
Let it soak in V hot water for a bit.
Tried that one thanks but no joy. The issue is that it's not a case of it being hard and needs softening but rather in the past it has slipped off the lip of the middle section when some one has fit it. Then the lower filter box tightened onto it has squashed it out of shape and stretched it in parts. Since I posted this I have managed to get it in place around the middle section and held it in place with Bulldog Clips. Bearing in mind it could have been like that for 30 odd years I have a feeling it will just spring back as to how it was found when I rescued it.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
I fit rubbery bits onto dishwashers,  sometimes the parts are distorted or shrunk and they need the V hot water routine - usually I put the parts on an extended rinse cycle (80°), that usually works.

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:51:40 PM »
I fit rubbery bits onto dishwashers,  sometimes the parts are distorted or shrunk and they need the V hot water routine - usually I put the parts on an extended rinse cycle (80°), that usually works.
Looking like I might have to give this method another go. I took the clips off and as I thought it's still not looking very good. Don't tell Mrs G what I'm doing with the washer though will you. She still blames me for the strange smell in the kitchen after she caught me baking some freshly painted engine bits in the cooker.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
Not only do I clean engine bits in the dishwasher and bake paint in the oven, I also clean paint roller sleeves in the washing machine.   On the other hand,  when the go faulty,  I get to repair them.

Bear in mind, the rinse cycle on a domestic dishwasher is only 65°.

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
Just to end this one, After many hours of fannying about I gave up and managed to find a new one some where on the continent, (hope we don't #@%$ before it arrives or the tax man will want his share).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal