Author Topic: Wonky winkers  (Read 770 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Wonky winkers
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:32:59 PM »
I've been having indicator dramas, last week I noticed the right hand side had stopped working, nothing lighting up at all.

With the engine stopped you can hear the flasher relay ticking away frantically. I tried the usual checking the connectors were all present and correct in the headlamp, made sure everything was a tight fit, and it seemed to correct itself temporarily. Today it was back to hand signals only on the right unfortunately.

I swapped the orange and blue feeds from the handlebar switch, the problem stayed with the right hand side lamps, though the switch positions were now reversed, so its not the feed from the switch.

Disconnecting things one at a time, the speedo bulb and the front right work fine, but the load doesn't make the relay flash.
Connecting the rear right causes all other lights to go out and the frantic 'ticking' from the relay.

I checked the connections at the rear indicator bulb, they weren't great, but resoldering and cleaning everything up made no difference. Until I get some extra wire, I cant test for voltage / continuity, cos my multimeter leads don't reach from the headlight end of the light blue wire to the connector at the back of the seat.

It cant be a broken wire as connecting it makes the ticking happen, but I'm thinking a high resistance somewhere. However its all one wire through the loom AFAIK, or is there another connector somewhere I can check? Is there a spare wire I can pinch or at least try? I suppose I should also connect the rear right to the left side indicator switch to see if the problem swaps sides.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Wonky winkers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53:33 PM »
I suspect you've got an earth problem.  Try connecting a lead from the indicator shells back to the battery negative.  If this test proves it is an earth fault, fitting an extra earth wire from the indicators,  back to the loom makes them more reliable.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »
It wasn't the earth wire - 0 resistance to the chassis after I soldered a new tag on the wire, but still not working.

It turned out to be a nasty Halfords type bullet connector under the seat with a layer of white fur on it. A polish with wet and dry did the job. I'd love to sack these and put OEM bullets back. I see vintageconnectors.com has kits that BigAl uses to make looms. Al could I buy a few bullets from you? If not where can I get just a few, the kit has enough to rewire a car. Most of my 4 way connectors are ok but there are red plastic sleeved bullets everywhere which just bug me. I have the crimper.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
I use these-
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/32
don't forget the little clear plastic sleeve that goes with it, they usually list them together.

Peter

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
Thanks for that, they look like what I need.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »
I would personally purchase the kit, you will be surprised how much you will use when checking things over that a new connector will be handy over the years. Those nasty halfords connectors are for temporary fix only and are open to the elements. Used vintage connections many times with excellent results.
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal