Author Topic: Opinions Please  (Read 1499 times)

Offline wheelysteve

• View Profile
Opinions Please
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
First of all , apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum !

Could those of you that know more about CB750's (i.e. all of you) give your considered opinion on the bike in this advert.

I have seen it and ridden it. It looks very tidy,  but has a flat spot at between 3 -4 thousand revs when you open it up. It also has (immaculate ) Takasago wheel rims when they should be DID surely? All advice and comments appreciated as I am looking to get a CB750. My current collection is all Zeds.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C857702

Cheers Steve

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
Greens a good choice  ;) looks tidy but I don't have a clue what there worth at the moment
It seems a bit steep to me if its not totally original.
The flat spot is probably caused by prehistoric HT leads that's what mine was doing

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »
is this the first and only bike you have seen?, i would go and see others if you can to compare to and look at classifieds for prices. the flat spot could be down not being used using stale fuel etc or as green said old ht leads.
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »
I hate K4 side panel badges but that's just me being picky. John Wyatt wrote a book on CB750s which I've got, the bike's probably in it, but my copy seems to have gone AWOL.

It looks a nice bike, I reckon a carb synch could sort out your flat spot. It seems fair money for a good bike, others will advise regarding the rims, I wouldn't know. Only a true geek is going to notice.

Edit: Are black and white plates legal on a P reg? A copper once told me the cutoff was 31/12/72 as he did me for the plate on my 77  Bonnie, it may have changed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:06:20 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »
It may be worth you contacting forum member James Harrington (James_Sussex). If you are looking for a USA bike, he usually has a few (hundred !!!☺☺☺)
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:31:26 PM »
I hate K4 side panel badges but that's just me being picky. John Wyatt wrote a book on CB750s which I've got, the bike's probably in it, but my copy seems to have gone AWOL.

It looks a nice bike, I reckon a carb synch could sort out your flat spot. It seems fair money for a good bike, others will advise regarding the rims, I wouldn't know. Only a true geek is going to notice.

Edit: Are black and white plates legal on a P reg? A copper once told me the cutoff was 31/12/72 as he did me for the plate on my 77  Bonnie, it may have changed.
I think this date is now circ 1976? Or 1977?. I hope so as I am about to purchase black and white plate for mine.
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

DaveB

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:38:41 AM »
I think this date is now circ 1976? Or 1977?. I hope so as I am about to purchase black and white plate for mine.

This is from the DVLA current leaflet inf104...

-----

Traditional number plates for vehicles made before 1 January 1973

Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ’black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate).

Since April 2016 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1976 can display the older style plates. You must:

have applied to DVLA, and
be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class.

Vehicles constructed 40 or more years ago are exempt from tax. The 40 year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April.

-----

Consequently this date will have rolled forward earlier this month and it seems applies not only to the tax exemption but also the number plate style that can be used.

HTH

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 06:05:49 AM »
Afraid not! There was a discussion on here late last year, and the black number plate date of 1976 DOES NOT roll along with the "40 year rule" 1st Jan 1976 is a fixed date and that is that! Must admit, I can't understand why people want to do this to bikes which aren't entitled to wear them, it looks daft, and will draw attention from young keen coppers, and the fines for it keep climbing. Same as smaller than legal number plates, why give plod an open invitation to hassle you?????

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:56 AM »
First of all , apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum !

Could those of you that know more about CB750's (i.e. all of you) give your considered opinion on the bike in this advert.

I have seen it and ridden it. It looks very tidy,  but has a flat spot at between 3 -4 thousand revs when you open it up. It also has (immaculate ) Takasago wheel rims when they should be DID surely? All advice and comments appreciated as I am looking to get a CB750. My current collection is all Zeds.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C857702

Cheers Steve

A bit too pricy, not correct for a USA unit and it was restored but, some 25 years ago.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:21:20 AM »
I can't understand why people want to do this to bikes which aren't entitled to wear them, it looks daft, and will draw attention from young keen coppers, and the fines for it keep climbing. Same as smaller than legal number plates, why give plod an open invitation to hassle you?????

I agree Hairy, seeing an old style B&W plate on a newer vehicle just doesn't look right.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

DaveB

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »
Afraid not! There was a discussion on here late last year, and the black number plate date of 1976 DOES NOT roll along with the "40 year rule" 1st Jan 1976 is a fixed date and that is that! Must admit, I can't understand why people want to do this to bikes which aren't entitled to wear them, it looks daft, and will draw attention from young keen coppers, and the fines for it keep climbing. Same as smaller than legal number plates, why give plod an open invitation to hassle you?????

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Personally, I don't care what my number plate colour is, but was merely trying to answer a question.

I also accept there was discussion elsewhere on the forum but as that was before I joined I wasn't party to it. However, without wishing to hijack the thread it makes little sense from the printing of the leaflet. If the date was revised from 1/1/73 to 1/1/76 why not just name the section "Traditional number plates for vehicles made before 1 January 1976" instead of making it an addendum to a section named "Traditional number plates for vehicles made before 1 January 1973"? Not important to me, but it makes for extremely confusing reading of the DVLA's own information if you are indeed correct - which I have no reason to doubt either :)

To add to this confusion the following DVLA article written in 2015 would appear to fully support a rolling date for the display of B&W number plates in line with a vehicle being in the 40 year historic vehicle tax band. It seems from April 2015 vehicles manufactured before 1 Jan 1975 were permitted to use such plates. So now there is at least printed evidence from the DVLA that the date rolled from 1973 to 1975 and now 1976.

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/11/17/whats-the-story-with-black-and-silver-number-plates/

Very confusing, at least to me. Good job I like my yellow plate :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:36:39 AM by DaveB »

Offline wheelysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »
I'm not too bothered by the colour of the number plate or it's legality !!

I am interested on opinions and advice on the rest of the bike, and, as has been stated , it is strong money and the seller will not move much from his asking price. I have looked at a couple of others, but to be honest none were in as good condition as this one for the money. This would appear to need nothing spending on it for a while once the missfire has been sorted which the seller says he will rectify. Except for a chip in one of the side panels, the paintwork looks excellent, the frame is pretty unmarked, the chrome is very good, the clocks are very good, the seat is as new. It has the tool kit etc under the seat and everything works.

It is a local bike and I know it has had very little use in the last 3-4 years. This guy has recommisioned the bike to ready it for sale. It has very little history with it unfortunately.

DaveB

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »
As a recent purchaser of a P reg 750 and after having looked at a number of available bikes, had this one been available at the time I would have taken a serious look at it. As it is, I plumbed for one that needs some work, especially cosmetic as that interests me as much as riding the thing and so I spent less.

The mechanics on these are pretty robust so long as they're not seriously neglected and I imagine the misfire will be easily sorted.

The real value of these bikes is a little confusing as it seems to be all over the place but I've certainly (from what I can see in the photo's) seen worse for more money. Having said that I've also seen a few come down in price and still not sold such as a an original UK K6 that looks to be in very good condition, originally posted at 8K and now at 6.5K and still not sold.

I'm absolutely no expert but I believe as a K4 it must have been a US/Jap bike as the K4 was never released to the UK and remained a K2. Also, a K4 should have been manufactured in 1974 I think which would surely make it an M or N reg? My 1976 K6 is a P reg. If you look on the headstock there should be a metal plate with the month and year of manufacture. As I say, I'm not an expert at all, I'm just stating what would make me curious about its origins/history etc.

I guess on balance, I would try to get it for 7.5K and not a penny over 8 but only because I love the colour :)

Hope that helps.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
Sorry it was me that led us off down that garden path, it happens all the time on here.

If it floats your boat and you think its as good as described, go for it, if the seller sorts out the flat spot to your satisfaction. You've seen and ridden it, we haven't so we can only give an uninformed opinion. Plus only you know what is comforatble money and what is a stretch.

There are plenty of cheaper ones out there, but you have to factor in what you would spend to get them as good as this, it isn't cheap, and some are proper money pits in the making.

Freddy the frog dude has a K4 that it cheaper and (allegedly) low mileage, but you have to see them in the flesh to see what the paint and chrome are like close up, and you've looked at this one, plus you know the recent history unlike almost every other bike out there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-CB-750-K4-1973-Boss-Maroon-Metallic-just-11-159-miles-A-MUST-SEE-/222466671368?hash=item33cc0c0308:g:-3oAAOSw3v5YnfTB

If you do buy it we will shower you with unsolicited advice to get it really nice (like clip that clutch cable up before it melts on an exhaust, and how to run the dipswitch wires inside the handlebars for neatness). Oh, and move the kickstart back at least one spline until it fits properly in the clutch cover cut out. - told you we were picky.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:53:27 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
Looks a tidy Bike, although the price is a bit on the top side. (I have assumed it's a USA K4 ?)
The rear handle bar/lift and indicator mounts are incorrect, should have the 'bumper' version with integral rubber mounts for the rear indicators.
I think (hard to tell with the image) that the front indicator stems are the short version as to the USA K4 100mm version.
Not sure why the reg is a 'P' plate as the K4 ran from (June 1973-May 1974) do you have  the engine & frame numbers?

I Hope the above  helps

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal