Author Topic: K7 carb help.  (Read 1981 times)

Offline zippy!

• View Profile
Re: K7 carb help.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »
A couple of pics (sorry I know its not a bike!

Offline zippy!

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
And of course what the Honda technology pushes along...

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 09:39:45 PM »
Johnwebley, there may not be much of an audience for it though. Also in a competition for Honda general knowledge I'd be soundly beaten by some of the others on here.

Zippy,  the Imp looks nice and is after all a SOHC so it scrapes through ok on that front. Must be one of the most diverse motors around though as I've seen them in both solo motorcycles along with quite a few road race outfits in the past,  this along with their four wheel applications of track and extensive rally use must cover many forms of motorsports.

Seeing the installation like that and proximity of the chassis leg got me thinking more about suitable carbs. If you take a 900/1000cc bike motor as a good source, then something like the original Yamaha 1000 Exup has a similar potential to the Honda 900 carbs but the whole bank of carbs is tilted up at 45 degrees as the bike cylinder install was lent forward at that angle. This means the carb intakes would possibly be above and clear of the chassis in your use so may offer something useful in the way of suitability.

Thinking further about your setup as it is, it may be realistic to make up some bespoke needles for the carbs with a slightly smaller diameter at the thick end of the needle to bring the lower throttle opening mixture a little closer to the topend to give a more linear progression to work with.

As you say, it's interesting to work through something like this anyway with the satisfaction if you get get good progress.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »
Crikey, that's the most complete answer I have ever seen on a forum. Nice one!! Also helps us F2 boys understand the system a little better. Thanks.
;) yes them PD carbs are a learning curve  i have a set on my k0 sidecar combination and have often thought of sticking k1 or k2 carbs on instead,they work quite well for me for normal riding but often it cuts out on tick over probably due to over lean mixture. the thing that has always puzzled me with these PD carbs is why the accelerator pump only works on one carb and cylinder ,why not have four one for each carb lol

Offline zippy!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 10:23:49 PM »
So I'm back up and running. Leaks all fixed.

The problem was.... a crappy rotor arm that had spun itself out of position inside the dizzy. Nightmare!

Anyway I'm back on with setting the carbs up now. Bit of oily type residue on 3 plugs but good on the others. Think this may be down to no valve stem seals as opposed to a carb problem.

Need to get hold of a balancer, but all in all she's going well.

Thanks again for all of the kind help and advice.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
Crikey, that's the most complete answer I have ever seen on a forum. Nice one!! Also helps us F2 boys understand the system a little better. Thanks.
;) yes them PD carbs are a learning curve  i have a set on my k0 sidecar combination and have often thought of sticking k1 or k2 carbs on instead,they work quite well for me for normal riding but often it cuts out on tick over probably due to over lean mixture. the thing that has always puzzled me with these PD carbs is why the accelerator pump only works on one carb and cylinder ,why not have four one for each carb lol

Steff , the accelerator pump it mounted on one carb but pumps fuel into all four.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal