Author Topic: fitting the camshaft or not!  (Read 1751 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: fitting the camshaft or not!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
The camshaft has got to be on the head bearings, the sprocket off the shoulder on the cam to fit the chain and then lifted onto the shoulder.  To get the timing right it's got to come off the shoulder, moved on link by link until it's right then put back on the shoulder.
Hope this helps.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 07:35:14 AM »
Thanks for advice peeps! Finally got cam chain off -who says brute force doesn't work ! And proceeding to re install without the Haynes manual 🏍

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 08:09:36 AM »
Haynes manuals are rubbish, they dont do anything the Honda way. They appear to just get any johnny that works on bikes to blow the engine apart then try to figure out how it goes back together. Try to remember that these were built on a mass production basis where things need to assemble easily, if your needing force your doing it wrong so dont carry on. As said previously, cam has to be on its bearings which requires sprocket to one side of cam and chain off the sprocket. Do it that way its dead easy. You could use your haynes manual for lighting the barbecue over the weekend. Download the genuine Honda manual off Ashimoto's dropbox link. Good luck.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
They can be "wrong" , it has been said :-\
Some of the Haynes books are ok especially the car ones which you can pick up for sod all on ebay !

Page 17 of the genuine Honda Shop Manual for the CB350-400F is very brief on camshaft installation so presumably there is another generic SOHC manual with photos and words to supplement this?
The disassembly instructions (p 13) do however instruct to remove the sprocket and chain then the chain from the sprocket, then pull the camshaft from the RHS.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
Haynes manuals are rubbish, they dont do anything the Honda way. They appear to just get any johnny that works on bikes to blow the engine apart then try to figure out how it goes back together. Try to remember that these were built on a mass production basis where things need to assemble easily, if your needing force your doing it wrong so dont carry on. As said previously, cam has to be on its bearings which requires sprocket to one side of cam and chain off the sprocket. Do it that way its dead easy. You could use your haynes manual for lighting the barbecue over the weekend. Download the genuine Honda manual off Ashimoto's dropbox link. Good luck.

Funny Roy because I think the old Haynes manuals are quite informative (rubbish modern ones though) and can be a nice supplement to the genuine Honda ones.. I built 2 400/4 engines using on the Haynes manual in the 1980's and several 250K engines and never had a problem with them. That included using them to work out the crank bearing codes for the 400/4 ..I then went to the local 5-star dealers and he just scratched his head and couldn't check my sums,  so I just told him to order them , fitted them and they Plastigaged fine. The Honda manuals too have glaring errors if you check closely enough and they evidently had an army of Jap graduates queuing up to write the CB750 manuals.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
Thanks for advice - prized chain off and after removing head again found chain not on crank fully. After that plain sailing. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal