SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

What brake lever is this?

(1/2) > >>

FatFreddy:
I have a 1979 CB750F2 (with a F1 engine) and the brake lever has broken at the end. I ahve been in touch with David Silver Spares to get a replacement, but they have sent me something completely different. They have told me that they have sent the correct lever for the model of bike. But it doesn't match with what i have.

By looking at the enclosed picture, can anyone out there tell me what model of bike my (broken) lever has come off?

Cheers

SteveD CB500K0:
It's very difficult to tell from the picture of the lever alone. It is possible that you have a non-standard brake master cylinder.

Post a picture of the whole unit.

FatFreddy:
Cheers Steve,
Have a butchers at this then...

Any ideas then?

JonnyB:
THat's an F2 lever, the \"finger\" at the pivot end  operates the break switch.

You have to be specific with Mr Silver, because if you order online and register your bike as, say an F1 if you order parts they will send F1 parts. I had exactly the same problem, I have an F1 with an F2 front end, orded an F2 lever online and got sent an F1 one.

Rang them about it, to be told they had check my records when I purchased it, and they sent it because they thought I had made a mistake.

Nive to have you back \"Fred\", you got your \"holey\" engine  sorted then?

FatFreddy:
Hello there JonnyB.

My word, you must have the memory of an elephant. Or have you been consulting the records?! Is my old login name still 'alive'? I've changed ISP since last, and i think both me and forum system got a bit confused so i just adapted to a new name.

By the way, that old holed F2 engine has long been passed on for spares, and has been replaced with what i could hold of at the time, which is a F1 engine.

Which is what is probably causing the problem here with the brake lever. I ordered the brake lever at the same time as the ignition points, condenser and backing plate. And i specifically told Mr Silver and Co in the email that it was a F1 engine in a F2 frame. I even gave them the engine and frame numbers.

So i probably have a F1 front brake lever (and maybe F2 points, condenser and backing plate ?!). Have a look at the picture below and if you recognise the lever please let me know.

I like that \"they sent it because they thought I had made a mistake.\"
That's reassuring! I wonder if they think i'm stupid too! What ever happened to \"the customer is always right\"?

Well, i'll wait and see if you know if my suspicions about the above lever are right, and then get in touch with Silver esq.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version