Author Topic: Installing centre stand  (Read 785 times)

Offline stewnorfolk

• View Profile
Installing centre stand
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
I have just joined the forum as I have just bought a 1976 CB400 in a rough condition. It sort of runs and the electrics sort of ork. I am working my way through the rough bits to make it work better but I have come unstuck in trying to sort out the centre stand. The bike came with a sidestand fitted and a centre stand in a box. I seem to have all I need to fit it but my brain can't get round how it works!

I have the stand itself, the pin to locate it on the bike, the spring and the sort of C shaped bracket that fits onto the top of the spring. I also have the pinch bolts to secure the pin in the frame. My problem is how do I attach the top of the C bracket to the bike to make it work? I have worked out that the bottom of the spring goes on the peg low down on the stand and the top of the spring goes in the small hole in the bracket. But I can't see anything to attach the top of the bracket to. I have also worked out that I need to make up a bracket for a bump stop for the stand as the silencer is a pattern part that doesn't have a place for the rubber stopper.

I have ridden a few 400/4s back in the late 70s and 80s but I never had to do anything with the centre stands on them so have no experience to go on. I have looked at the parts list so I know roughly how the system goes together but I can't find any photos of one actually together.
Can someone please point me in the right direction and maybe post a photo looking up under the bike at the top of the bracket.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Installing centre stand
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:08:31 PM »
If you want you are welcome to come and look at my CB500 or CB750 to check the details. I have just removed and refitted the stand from the 500 for repainting and the top of the "C" bracket fits into a peg on the frame.

If you want to come around pm me, I am in Saham Toney, so less than ten miles away.

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:02:24 PM »
As Oddjob says, Hopefully you can see the detail here.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Peter

Offline stewnorfolk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
Thanks for that photo petermigreen. That's exactly what I need. Unfortunately I have a horrible feeling that a previous owner must have removed the mounting bar from the frame - I am sure that I would have noticed it when lying on my back looking up into the frame. Hopefully I am wrong! I will have a look first thing tomorrow morning and report back.

Offline stewnorfolk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »
Good news. The bar for fitting the C-bracket is still there. Much celebrating at 7.30 this morning!

Having done a test fitting of the stand, I am surprised how far away from the silencer the stand is when folded up. The silencer is an aftermarket item so can't be fitted with the Honda rubber bump stop and is a different shape from the original Honda silencer. Does the Honda original (and the Dave Silver copy) have some sort of extension that ligns up with the stand or is there a bracket that does this? I can't see any likely bracket on the Honda parts list. Maybe I just need to make something up, but I do prefer to use Honda parts if at all possible.

Thanks a lot for your help so far. Being an oldie who doesn't do "social media" as I can't see the point, I have to say that I do like internet forums like this one. Sharing knowledge, rather than opinions, has to be the way to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal