Author Topic: What's your brew, as in life trade  (Read 11897 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your brew, as in life trade
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »
I failed my first bike test because the C90 let me down.   I hadn't used it for a couple of months because I was riding my 400four. 
Anyway,  on day of the test, I wheeled the now unfamiliar and underpowered step thru in a fetching hearing - aid brown, blew the sawdust off it and and ride to the test centre.  Because it felt neglected, the bloody thing began sulking and would lose power - as if running on half a cylinder.   By faffing about with the choke lever on the carb I could get it to behave itself.

In those days the examiner was on foot and directed me to ride in left hand circuits around the block until he said so, followed by right hand circuits, followed by the emergency stop.

It was while I was cajoling a few more horses from the thing by leaning forward, fiddling with the carb, then an old codger decided to cross the road.  I almost knocked the old coot sideways and muttered an apology while hoping the examiner was the other side of the block.
He wasn't.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Frank Spencer comes to mind  ;D
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
Or Victor Meldrew.  ;D

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2017, 06:38:19 PM »
This is how I shall always see you now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAUvNlsOs0U
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »
My first Bike Test was on my Lambretta. I stopped at a Pedestrian Crossing only for a British Rail Truck to plough into the back of my Lambretta.....remember those pug ugly three wheeler monstrosities that humped suff around the Railway Stations. End of Test !  My second Bike Test was funny.....the Examiner told me to go around a circuit and at some stage he would step out and then I was to perform an 'Emergency Stop'. I spotted him in plenty of time and managed a perfect and controlled stop.....much to the delight of some Factory Workers eating their butties sitting outside their Factory....they all rose to their feet and started clapping my sterling efforts. Mr Examiner was NOT amused and got a bit haughty. Despite that I passed anyway.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2017, 07:18:54 PM »
When I took my bike test a dog shot out of a gate and sank its teeth into my trouser leg, as I pulled to a stop, the nearby examiner was jumping up and down shouting kick the bar steward, but he did pass me my test!
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2017, 08:22:24 PM »
seems like we all have a story about our test..
i done mine in chichester..and had a short lesson with the tester before, when we stopped for a bacon butty we talked about old bikes and i had a bsa c11g at the time in the garage...he was mighty impressed as i was only a nipper who was interested in old brit stuff...
when we left the cafe after half an hour or so we were out of chichester and heading to some outer village ...i forget where as it was just miles of lanes..
we ended up at his house and he had a garage full of brit bikes...after a cuppa and a chat i asked ."what about my test?"
he replied "dont worry you have passed"...
thinking back what with all that is going on in the news that could have ended alot worse .... :o

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2017, 08:57:53 PM »
I turned up for my test on my CD175 with my Nurses uniform hanging below my tasselled leather jacket. I was on my lunch break from work. I rode around the block, all of about 400 yards, did the emergency stop and he had already written out the pass certificate as I was riding round the block. Finished work at 3pm and went and picked up a 750 Triumph Bonneville. This was in 1980.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2017, 09:18:12 PM »
Our old HONDA CB750K0,CBX1000,Goldwing riding buddy RIP.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMRw3mBo_o

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2017, 10:06:06 PM »
I was expecting the examiner to leap out at me, as per the Frank Spencer clip.  He held his clipboard in the air over 600 yards away.   I was riding along pondering whether to stop right now, or stop where he was.  After a quarter of a mile I decided I'd better stop.
Once I was stopped he beckoned me.  I rode up to him and he said the emergency stop was very good.  Very odd.

Offline Allington (Steve)

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »
Just digging up a fascinating old thread... I was brought up on a fun fair and as a kid spent a lot of time building, fixing and riding (off road) various Bantams, C15's, Tiger Cubs, Honda 50's and scooters then on my 16th birthday and back on the Isle of Wight bought an FS1E (life defining moment) and started work in a plastic precision engineering company making parts for Rolls Royce and cigarette manufacturing machines. A few years later moved into boat building (much more money) as well as breaking cars in my spare time and then in the early 80's trained and became a photographer and videographer and moved to Darlington.

In the mid 90's started a company called Racing Composites in Lincolnshire making the bodywork for a lot of the motorbike racing teams here and abroad and the then growing track day market and then after a competitor bought us out started an internet company in a completely different direction altogether. We sold the internet company back in 2015 and retired.
"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..."

FS1E - RD200 - CB500 - Norton Commando - Z900

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal