Author Topic: Getting wheels rebuilt - huge cost!?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Getting wheels rebuilt - huge cost!?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »
Because the thinner part is calculated to take the strain needed to do the job, the thicker ends allow extra material to accommodate the threads or the bent end without compromising the core specification.

Also (as with waisted bolts and studs) the load is more evenly handled / spread along the component and if designed properly you don't get a high stress point which occurs with a straight component at the bend or where the threads end.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
Save weight, the middle bit is under less stess than the bits contacting the hub or rim - rim ends have threads cut into them, other end has a bend and needs to spread its load over an area of alloy hub which is softer. Might shave a few grams off the wheel, probably looks nicer too. ( looks being very subjective as to what is nice )
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 11:49:52 PM »
Every day's a school day. Thanks.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
In addition any decent spokes will have the threads rolled (could be called cold forging)  into them rather than die cut which would destroy the material integrity and reduce its tensile capacity, just what you wouldn't need in a spoke.  :o

Offline Dazza215

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
7 weeks at central wheels!!!!
I need a complete rebuild, rims, spokes, and shot blasted hubs, but i'm not waiting 7 weeks.
i will call them in the morning and see if this is their lead time at the moment , if it is does anyone know of anyone else in the Birmingham area that can do it quicker please?
I wanted to ride it this summer!!
I dont ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride to add life to my days.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »
7 weeks at central wheels!!!!
I need a complete rebuild, rims, spokes, and shot blasted hubs, but i'm not waiting 7 weeks.
i will call them in the morning and see if this is their lead time at the moment , if it is does anyone know of anyone else in the Birmingham area that can do it quicker please?
I wanted to ride it this summer!!

I suggest you split the job into 3 stages and/or suppliers,firstly rims and spokes,then blasting the hub and polishing/painting,
the assembly,

can you paint/polish the hubs,and build the wheels,or would you need to source it?
just contact ALL the wheel/rim/spoke suppliers for quickest lead time
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »
Wheel building is easy its what else you want done

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal