Author Topic: CB650 Nighthawk Starter Motor Problem  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
CB650 Nighthawk Starter Motor Problem
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:15 AM »
Hi folks, help needed with my new purchase, US import CB650 Nighthawk SOHC. When I try the electric start I get a clunking sound like like cogs mashing together. My question is, does this sound like a starter motor or starter clutch issue, or even both? It sounds like the cogs are slipping and doesn't turn the motor over, I rocked the bike forward and backward in gear then tried the starter again and it seemed to turn the engine for a second or two then made the same clunking sound. All I have done is pull the starter motor and looked at the cog which seemed fine, then stuck my finger in the hole and rotated the gear inside, it went clockwise freely but only went so far the other way then locked.
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: CB650 Nighthawk Starter Motor Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 06:47:18 PM »
It's supposed to only turn one direction,  it's the roller clutch mechanism.   It does sound a bit drastic and will probably need stripping.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply Mike. I've got an idea to put the starter motor from my CB650C on to the Nighthawk and see what the result is. I want to try the easiest options first, I've read on the interwebby that if it is the starter clutch then it is possible to repair it without taking the engine out. I'm hoping that it is just the starter motor that is at fault.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
That's great if you've got a spare starter motor,  lets hope it's that that's faulty but it does sound like the starter clutch.   Pity you haven't got a kickstart

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »
No kick start and nowhere to bump start it either. I haven't had the bike running at all yet, it was sold as a non runner but I've always wanted one so to me it is just a minor inconvenience. I'll start spannering in the morning so I'll let you know what occurs.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:45:47 PM »
Nice looking bike that, hope it's nothing serious and you get to ride it soon.

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
So far this morning: removed seat, tank, side panels. Removed plugs, tried starter and engine turned over without load, tried starter a couple more times and it turned over and slipped again. Removed battery and put it on charge, removed starter, the on the starter motor is showing signs of wear, the starter cog in the engine looks good with no missing teeth. Took pictures so that I could enlarge them, you get to see more detail than with just eyes alone. Next step, replace Nighthawk starter with CB650C starter and see what happens. One final point, Nighthawk starter motor came out way too easy, looks like the O ring is shot as signs of long time oil leak, possible starter motor wobbling about due to O ring wear???

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
Cog inside seems good.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
What's it like with the spare starter motor?

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
Hi Mike.........splutter, fart, bang, pop.....ROAR!!!!! ;D According to PO she's not been started for a while, I let her warm up a bit then switched her off, started her again but it still slipped a bit, as soon as it catches she fires up on all four straight away.

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »
Can the cog on the starter motor be replaced? If so, are the still available to buy?

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 05:50:51 AM »
Hi Oddjob and thanks. I've got a spare engine (minus the head) so I'm going to try it on that first, I can turn that one upside down to see exactly what's what. The main priority was getting the "Old Girl" to fire up, I needed to know that I hadn't bought a dud. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal