SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Anatomy of a 400/4 Horn (also CB250/360 G5)

<< < (2/2)

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 20, 2023, 12:36:23 AM ---Interesting process Ash especially the coil connecting- nothing like as complicated but I have revived old car horns for a short period by connecting one side to the negative side of a fully charged 12 v battery then rapidly connecting & disconnecting the live terminal so it progresses from a dull click to eventually making the horn sound. Only seemed to work for a short period on a seldom used car horn. I thought it was due to the back EMF somehow reviving the contacts.

--- End quote ---

Different problem Ted. On these Mitsuba horns, when not used for 30 odd years, they  develop a hard, totally non-conductive, oxide layer and in this case will not pass any current at all at 12v. You need a very high voltage to discharge through the oxide layer to 'puncture' it repeatedly. If you look back at the beginning of this post, there are other methods but this is my 'go-to' method in the future. Wonder if it will work with open circuit oil pressure and hydraulic brake switches?

Rozabikes Tim:
You are a wizard Ash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version