Author Topic: Blu Tac & Laggy Bands  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Blu Tac & Laggy Bands
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »
Most handy for fixing those pesky exhaust gaskets and collets. A tiny, and I mean tiny blob of Blu Tac on the exhaust gasket, on opposite sides of the circle (180 degrees apart) will hold the little demons in place while you fit the system, its a good idea to give the port a wipe with a rag first to remove any loose flaky crud. Laggy bands (elastic bands to posh people) will hold the collets in place on the headers until the clamps go on and are partly tightened. Snip the laggy band with a scalpel or a pair of scissors, then pull the remains out. Start the bike, the Blu Tac will smell for about ten seconds once it gets hot but that's all, no more smell after initial start up. A blob of Blu Tac is also great for blocking up holes or whatever, wherever you don't want something else to get into, as in a temporary masking for odd or otherwise difficult shapes to mask.
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Blu Tac & Laggy Bands
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
Another tip on a similar theme;

When fitting an exhaust system,  the exhaust clamps always slide back down the pipes and the middle ones don't slide back up because the frame tubes are in the way, so the exhaust has to come off again.  Gertcha!!

My tip is to hold the clamps in place with cable ties - about 2" from the end.  Once it's all in place and bolted up just snip the cable ties.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:34:18 AM »
Its more usual to hold the gaskets in place with two little blobs of grease.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:48:25 AM »
Yes Roy, but grease is messy, plus if it melts and runs down the headers it can be a right bugger to clean off.
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal