Author Topic: Throttle return spring....to strong  (Read 2952 times)

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
Re: Throttle return spring....to strong
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
I've fitted much lighter springs to mine and a mates bikes now...I binned the unnecessary 2nd cable as well. Not got one on any other bike..?? Absolutely lovely smooth light action now - both on STD throttles. The springs came from somewhere like B&Q ... Had them years. I agree ..the original springs are stupid heavy.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
I always found that rolling the throttle open with my fingers and holding it with the palm of my hand and then re gripping so as to keep my wrist in a neutral position was helpfull. Having had cables fray in hidden places and get stuck on my 500/4 not to mention freeze solid I'm not likely to ever advise binning the 2nd cable, though you could always use the kill switch if the throttle sticks open.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »
Let's be honest here.  it's the pull cable that does all the work.   The push cable doesn't do much, there's no strain on it so it's unlikely that it will ever break.  Were Honda ahead of the times with Health and Safety or summat?

As m m said, there's always the kill switch.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
Let's be honest here.  it's the pull cable that does all the work.   The push cable doesn't do much, there's no strain on it so it's unlikely that it will ever break.  Were Honda ahead of the times with Health and Safety or summat?

As m m said, there's always the kill switch.
But, in the event of an accident, insurers may wash their hands of the incident, regardless of blame, if the bike was fitted with 2 cables by Honda and you choose to remove a "manufacturers safety device" Insurers will try anything to wriggle out of a claim!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
And there was me thinking insurers are all warm, fuzzy, helpful types.  Who'd have thought it.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »
It's interesting to see different opinions about this but I agree with hairygit on it. The return cable is the only contingency fitted to those throttle systems,  there is nothing else in the event of spring failure.

The spring is operational and not a backup,  there is only one of them so in the event of failure the secondary cable is absolutely required. Other systems that have duplicated springs and can use one cable are designed in that way to avoid a failure,  unlike the Honda one fitted to these bikes.

Whichever person investigating a serious accident of a vehicle has no real choice of what to include or exclude,  if it's a fundamental part of the safe operation of that vehicle of course it will have an impact or a legal outcome. It's pretty niave to think otherwise.

If you take off the spring of a system fitted with no return cable and try to ride it, you'd not get far.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »
Whichever person investigating a serious accident of a vehicle has no real choice of what to include or exclude
Over the years I had two insurance agents having a look at my bike after an incidence (somebody else his fault). None even noticed the cable missing.
if it's a fundamental part of the safe operation of that vehicle

fundamental?! Are you kidding us?
of course it will have an impact or a legal outcome.
of course?! I haven't heard of one case yet.

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »
I'll have to jump in and say that if you remove the return cable and spring....and something untoward happens to your bike and you have an accident, then an Insurer WILL use that against you. It may have had little to do with the reasons for the accident occurring, or the eventual outcome, but they WILL use it against you and it will be up to you to prove in a court of law that it had nothing to do with the accident. You will need tens of thousands ££££ to fight any case against your Insurer, and if you lose, you can wave goodbye to your house - if you own one - or your future lifetime earnings if you don't. Insurers don't mess about and they will fight you in court - because they have little to lose - unlike you do.

If you were carrying a pillion who suffered injury, they would have to sue you for any personal damages; if you hit another vehicle or pedestrian, they would have to sue you for any damages - primarily because your Insurers will deny ANY liability because you removed a piece of 'safety related' kit which the manufacturer installed when they designed the vehicle and sold it as 'fit for purpose'.

Just because an Insurance Assessor hasn't picked up on similar things in the past isn't anything to go on for the future.There are 'good' Assessors and there are 'bad' Assessors.....in a case potentially involving big bucks.......which type of Assessor do you think your Insurers will send out ? Similarly, an Insurer will frustrate a case coming to court for as long as they like....leaving you (and those suing you) in limbo without any compensation or payout - possibly for a few years.

Don't take my word for it....I may be right....I may be wrong......but what's the point of paying out for Insurance then giving your Insurer a 'watertight case' for not having to pay out should you have a serious claim involving serious money ?
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
I'll have to jump in and say that if you remove the return cable and spring....and something untoward happens to your bike and you have an accident, then an Insurer WILL use that against you. It may have had little to do with the reasons for the accident occurring, or the eventual outcome, but they WILL use it against you and it will be up to you to prove in a court of law that it had nothing to do with the accident. You will need tens of thousands ££££ to fight any case against your Insurer, and if you lose, you can wave goodbye to your house - if you own one - or your future lifetime earnings if you don't. Insurers don't mess about and they will fight you in court - because they have little to lose - unlike you do.

If you were carrying a pillion who suffered injury, they would have to sue you for any personal damages; if you hit another vehicle or pedestrian, they would have to sue you for any damages - primarily because your Insurers will deny ANY liability because you removed a piece of 'safety related' kit which the manufacturer installed when they designed the vehicle and sold it as 'fit for purpose'.

Just because an Insurance Assessor hasn't picked up on similar things in the past isn't anything to go on for the future.There are 'good' Assessors and there are 'bad' Assessors.....in a case potentially involving big bucks.......which type of Assessor do you think your Insurers will send out ? Similarly, an Insurer will frustrate a case coming to court for as long as they like....leaving you (and those suing you) in limbo without any compensation or payout - possibly for a few years.

Don't take my word for it....I may be right....I may be wrong......but what's the point of paying out for Insurance then giving your Insurer a 'watertight case' for not having to pay out should you have a serious claim involving serious money ?

^What he said^ Your Insurance "Will" do you over if they can! It's how they make money, by blaming anyone else!
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 08:46:55 PM »

^What he said^ Your Insurance "Will" do you over if they can! It's how they make money, by blaming anyone else!

If someone removes the close cable and spring which are safety features the insurance comp are not doing you over by not paying out. If you stick to terms and conditions they can't do you over. People choose not to notify of modifications which is against the policy terms because they don't want the possibility of a premium increase. How can they give a genuine quote if they do not know of any mods made. Insurance isn't just about ticking a box. its for when it all goes tits up. Tell them any mods done, most of the time they say its ok. They are not in business to give money to those who don't disclose all relevant facts. Would you.?

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 10:26:29 PM »
Who mentioned removing the close cable AND spring? Sounds like an interesting ride!
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 10:39:57 PM »
Who mentioned removing the close cable AND spring? Sounds like an interesting ride!

My mistake on that one.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2017, 11:59:01 PM »
I don't remember my GS1000 or my GS850 having two throttle cables and my K75 hasn't got one.  Is it just a Honda feature?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 12:42:55 AM »
Some bikes have 2, some have 1. Just declare it to insurance if you do remove it. It's true even on my modern Hondas there is often only 1 cable, like my ca125, but that has stuck open a few times and with a pathetic 10hp pushing it, it's not too bad , not fun either.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
I don't remember my GS1000 or my GS850 having two throttle cables and my K75 hasn't got one.  Is it just a Honda feature?
I don't rule out it was one of these US 'safety' requirements as useful as written messages (objects appearing in this mirror... etc) in rear view mirrors. Maybe someone sued a motorcycle manufacturer over it, who knows? I take it someone must have succesfully sued a carmaker over its wideangle rearview mirror that didn't warn the driver.
BTW, I haven't heard of one incident yet, where a missing second throttle cable played a role.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:44:20 AM by deltarider »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal