Author Topic: Best place for Dating Certificate  (Read 3875 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Best place for Dating Certificate
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »
DVLA telling me (two separate 'phone conversations about the same application) that I need a dating certificate from an Owners Club for a bike I have the old 1970's V5 for, old MOT etc. Frame & Eng no.s match the V5 and the Reg plate. I thought this would be enough but hey-ho guess I will have to comply with their instructions,  in order to get the V5C. What's the best place to get a proper dating cert.,  given that I am not a paid member of the VJMC or the HOC. Honda UK are telling me its £25+VAT provided it's a UK bike....which it is. That seems reasonable to me but any advice gladly received, in order to make the operation as painless as possible.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Best place for Dating Certificate
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
Ash, Honda U.K. are generally the best bet, DVLA never question the importers dating. Plus if for some reason Honda can't help, they refund all your money!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 04:12:25 PM »
Ash i had that earlier this year..on a st70 i just sent the old v5 of with a cover note saying i purchased the bike from an estate sale...oddly it was the truth and i got a new v5 back fairly promptly....

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »
Notth leicestershire motorcycles
Supplied mine Ash, no problem with DVLA.
Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:35:31 PM »
 Ash DVLA when i was doing loads wanted to "Inspect" the vehicle if a dating certificate was not from manufacturers but not if you used a Honda letter. Inspection meant you had to transport the bike to the nearest open VOSA testing centre of which there are not many left and always miles away from where you happen to be!

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »
Out of interest Ash, why do you need a dating certificate, if as your list of paperwork says, you have everything you need?
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
Out of interest Ash, why do you need a dating certificate, if as your list of paperwork says, you have everything you need?
Because in two separate conversations with two different DVLA people they are both telling me I need one, despite explaining in great detail that I have the old V5 etc. They won't let me use a V62 form and insisting I use a V765 and  a V55/5 form  Personally I don't see why I need all this  but I'll toe-the-line and dish out thirty quid if it means getting the V5C easier and quicker. I think I will go the Honda UK route as it should be fairly straightforward being a UK registered bike from new not an import. I gather they sometimes now send somebody down now to inspect the vehicle, which is not much more than a numbers check and that the bike is complete. Good news is that my 450K0 Bomber and CX are both on the DVLA register and I have the old V5's so they should be pretty straightforward.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:15:33 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 06:18:36 PM »
So the bike is not on the system then, I understand now, sort of  :-\
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »
So the bike is not on the system then, I understand now, sort of  :-\

No ...never been put on DVLA register .. someone suggested they may have put the plate on another vehicle but it's nowt special and anyway surely the reg would show up as another vehicle if that was the case. Last MOT done in 1986.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 10:35:03 PM »
Hopefully you won't have to pay anything to DVLA Ash, as it sounds like it was their fault the bike was never put on their new system back in the day. You could always just go get it MOT'd and then it would show on the system in the near future.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
Ash, if it's part of that lot you bought with the G5 and CX, do what Woodside did, it was a dead person's estate being sold off after all.

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 11:21:41 PM »
Ash, if it's part of that lot you bought with the G5 and CX, do what Woodside did, it was a dead person's estate being sold off after all.

I did tell them the bike was from a deceased estate but didn't make any difference ... think they are generally tightening up.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 05:21:19 PM »
Interesting Ash as I'm in basically the same boat. My L reg 500 still has it's original V5, however a phone call to DVLA a few years ago confirmed they'd never put it on the register as it's not been taxed since the early 80s at least. I already have a dating certificate from Honda so hopefully that will ease the way into getting it taxed if I ever get round to it. Do you think it is worth it getting it back onto the register so it's easier to do that if I ever do?

Yes I would get it done Ken 'cos they seem to be tightening up big style. A bike from exactly the same stable (member on here's bike)  with old V5, only needed a V62 form + inspection. There is no mention in their approved counter-signers to the V765 form, which  you have to fill in,  of Honda UK being approved, only the Honda Owners Club & VJMC for our bikes. Think I will just join VJMC as I also have a CB72 with only the old green logbook, not even an old V5 and a CB250K0 with the the old V5 only. It's 40 quid non members 30 for members + 25 quid joining fee. God knows why they can't just accept an old V5 which has their watermark embedded throughout the paper. You also need to fill in a V55 form too.  Good earner for the dating 'clubs' though ... and I don't mean the likes of  'Match.com'  ;D

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »
Dvla do seem to be tightening up...
This senario seems a bit loopy...
As the v5 has absolutley every bit of information they require and its their bloody paper work...
Unbebloodyleavable

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 09:02:34 PM »
Next issue is the stamping in the frame isn't very deep and they want a clear photo of it. I have cleared all paint off the area  and  corrosion using weak phosphoric acid. It's clear (ish)  close up with the naked eye, that it's original, authentic & correct fonts but not photoing too well. Any ideas? It has the alloy plate too and that's pretty clear but they say the headstock stamping is the most important detail required (plus engine no. of course).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal