Author Topic: cb550 first attempt - restore and modernise  (Read 3732 times)

Offline aled

• View Profile
cb550 first attempt - restore and modernise
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
Thought i would share my build with you and seek some much needed help and advice as i progress with my build. first a little background on myself and the bike, by trade i am carpenter from south wales and have no prior mechanical knowledge besides maybe putting an air filter on my first car and changing the alloys when i was 17, as for the bike it is a 1977 cb550 which i purchased for a fairly reasonable price in December 2016. My main priority when looking for a honda was that it was running , which this one was, BUT barley, after bringing the bike home i think i was able to fire it up maybe twice after countless attempts.

After a closer inspection and giving the bike a well needed clean it was obvious that the engine and bike were not in the best condition, anywhere there was a gasket, there was a leak. Not sure what to do and after a few months on debating if i should find a mechanic to carry out the work or attempt it myself, i decided i would attempt to rebuild the top-end myself, i knocked up a quick bench for the bike so it could be easier to work on and to have as much space as possible when not working on the bike in my garage.

Before i begin any cosmetic work or touch the frame my goal is to make sure that the engine is running as good as possible (to my skill at least) seeing as this, in my opinion is the most important part of the bike.

below are a few pictures of the bike before and during the project.

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: cb550 first attempt - restore and modernise
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »
Hi Aled and welcome. The bike doesn't look too bad in the pictures but I do know from experience that pics can be misleading. I like the idea of your bench but how did you get the bike on it, unless you have a ramp not shown in the pic. You can't beat doing the work yourself, I personally wouldn't buy a bike that was in perfect running order as I like to fix them up......and they are generally a whole lot cheaper when not running. :D
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 08:53:05 AM »
Welcome Aled. Good luck with your project. I love the bench, that's brilliant 😊😊
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
Hi Aled and welcome. To be perfectly honest, looking at the state of the oil you've drained from it, and your description of a leak from every gasket, I'd suggest a complete strip down, including the bottom end. After all, will be very disappointing for you if you rebuild the top end, only to find the main bearings rumbling, the big ends knocking, or the primary chain lashing about, or worse cutting through the main oil gallery in the crankcases (500's and 550's primary chains can do that if run too slack, and that's replacement engine casings time! :o) The bottom end is not as scary or daunting as you might imagine, and there is plenty of advice and help on here. And NOTHING beats the feeling of your first full strip and rebuild coming back to life. Far easier to sort all the possible issues now than do the top end and find something in the bottom end failing.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »
First a few coments on your carpentry (joinery), obviously butt jointed and would have benefited from a few mortice and Tennons 😄, only kidding, welcome to the forum, restoring a bike is almost as much fun as riding one so you'll have a good time with that, good choice of bike too, look fwd to seeing it progress 👍
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
Welcome aled, I have one very much like yours in the garage. Mine was a US import, but I changed it only slightly to bring it in line with UK spec. but stripped it right down and rebuilt it. Fitted with a Motad exhaust at present, but have parts of the original pipes that are pretty much unobtainable to fit later.
If you want ideas for updating, take a look at member Niko. His started the same, but is now radically changed.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
Welcome Aled - the bike looks a good basis for a rebuild with most looking in good re-furnable nick. I agree with Hairy on the rebuild and with all  the help on here won't be that scary - looking at your carpentry background, your practical skills will be transferable with guidance of the 500/550 experts on the forum. There's some Welsh members on here too who are probably not far from where you are.
Enjoy!
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 01:02:10 PM »
And welcome from me too. Excellent timber motorcycle stand!

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
Welcome Aled, it looks a good basis for a refurb, i would completely strip the motor now you are that far and replace the primary and cam chains along with the tensioner, and the rest is up to you and how you want the finished bike to look, read everything several times as you go take pictures and write things down. i am sure it will turn out fine

Offline aled

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 02:06:23 PM »
thank you guys! really appreciate the comments and feedback and will for sure consider maybe opening the bottom end,  please do not judge my carpentry skills by the bike bench i have put together , it was a quick half hour build!! haha

as for a more modern look, my goal is to really keep the bike's classic authentic look but tidying the dash area up, maybe upgrading with a digital speedo and modern indicators etc. , lowering the suspension and a smaller seat as im not the tallest person. 

after the engine is ticking over (hopefully) my next step is to strip down and powder-coat and paint all the needed parts. as for electrics and wiring, is an electric ignition a must upgrade as well as the motogadget unit and full re-wire? i must admit i haven't looked into these too much at the moment but i am gathering as much info as i can as i progress.

overall if i could get the bike looking anything similar to rawhide cycles 750 build (hopefully its okay to post other peoples bikes on here) then i would be very happy.

i do not want to get ahead of myself just yet so back to the garage and time to remove some old gaskets it is!

thanks for the comments and appreciate all your help in advance! cheers guys.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
Looks like a great project youve got there and plenty of pictures to keep us interested and entertained.
I see you live round by me, where to.  I don't mind calling in and giving you a hand if needed.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 07:16:37 PM »
An alternative thought on how far you go with the engine Alan, although other members suggest a complete strip and rebuild, (and that is a perfectly logical approach provided you don't mind the extra time and expense) it's worth bearing in mind that Mr Honda produced very reliable motorcycles!, there is probably nothing at all wrong with the bottom end of that bike, I'd go as far as saying it's a 90% probability that it's OK, so I'd go along the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" route if I were you, if once you have it running again you do find an issue then OK take the lump out and completely strip it, how many times do we hear people say that once stripped everything was within tolerance, and let's face it when we buy second hand cars we don't take the engines out and rebuild them do we! 😄, I'd give it a go as is, if I'm wrong then it will mean a few hours extra work and another top end gasket set, if I'm right you've saved a load of time and money, anyway that's my ten pence worth 👍
PS if you need to change the cam chain you can do it with a soft link which again will save you having to split the cases, I did that on a 400/4 30 years ago and it's still running (a mate of mine still has it).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:19:25 PM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 07:45:29 PM »
I tend towards the let it be route for engine bottom ends on old Hondas, the cb550 is a fairly tough cookie and its probably ok, most times I've seen one with issues its down to work done on it by well intentioned but mechanically perhaps not the best tinkerers. I always like to hear it run, and select the gears under load before pulling them appart, as often it proves they dont need my intervention. If you do open up the bottom end be sure to check the location peg on the cluch side bearing for the gearbox shaft when re assembling, very common for the holes to be miss alighned and the top of the casting to pop instead. Also the tensioner needs care to put back as it has a hard to spot location pockett in the bottom crank case. I always used to find a replacement engine was cheaper than fixing one with problems, though this might have shifted since I used mine as a daily commuter - though I doubt it as the parts have gone up as badly as the engines. I still have a pile of engines that either got retired as they had problems or that I bought as handy spares, rather than rush to buy new parts I prefer to look for the parts nice and cheap and use a spare engine so I'd not hold up progres too much if the engine is waiting on a part, just crack on with the rest of the build. Makes life less stressfull I reacon.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 08:25:21 PM »
I'm with MarkCR750 and matthewmosse, get em running first. By all means strip and clean the carbs, check valves, change oil and plugs, check brakes then ride em for a couple of weeks at least. Make sure it's a bike you are gonna be sure you want to keep before you go splashing out loads of money on it. Tidying up for an MOT is only elbow grease and a bit of time. Have some fun first, then sort out what you want to change / fix. :)
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

Offline aled

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »
Thanks for the comments and advice guys, very helpful, yeah i think im just going do the top end and fingers cross , all is good with the bottom.
I pretty much have all the parts ready to for the top end so its a case of me just getting on with it now!

Bit more of an update today,  engine is out and began cleaning up and removing valves and pistons. Alot of elbow grease and hours have been put into just removing old gaskets and i think im finally there! thank god!

some pictures ..

where there paint has flaked there seems to be a purple layer of paint .. surely it wasn't sprayed purple? is this a rust protection or something?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal