Author Topic: Harness Routing  (Read 1194 times)

DaveB

Harness Routing
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:02:09 AM »
CB750K6. As some might realise from other threads I'm attempting the give the bike a thorough clean - starting primarily at the front. Not at all a restoration although I am replacing parts where they seem past it and also carrying out some repairs such as to the wiring loom where the plastic sheath had complete perished around the headstock etc. I've had the ignition coils off to clean the whole area and repaired the loom but now that I'm reassembling it, pretty sure as it was, I'm not sure of the correct routing of the main loom that goes into the headlamp shell.

Should it be routed outside of the throttle cables...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Or inside the throttle cables...

Or have I got it completely wrong?

Unfortunately a search of this forum, the general interweb, and the manuals I have don't help.

Thank you.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Harness Routing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
Here is a picture of a original K6

DaveB

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 10:06:12 AM »
Interesting. Thanks. The harness was above the tank mounting rubber when I took mine to pieces. It also seems to me it would get more easily trapped by the tank in that lower position. It seems though that the harness is 'outside' of the throttle cables, so that helps a lot. Thanks.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
yes, the loom should go above the tank rubber.

DaveB

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 01:54:34 PM »
Not sure I have the throttle cables routed correctly either. Wish I could find a diagram for it all such as I've seen for later bikes.

Currently the throttle cables pass by the headstock on the left, then go under the coils, entering between the 1 and 4 HT leads and staying underneath to the throttle linkages. Does this sound right or should they run along the side of the 1/4 coil?

Thanks as always.

DaveB

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »
I light of no answers, I spent some more time attempting to research this with various photo's from around the web and what I've found is that the cable, brake pipe and harness routing particularly from the bars seems to depend on a few factors such as if the bike is US spec or UK/European (different height bars) and how the last person to re-route everything was feeling. As for routing the throttle cables past the coils I haven't managed to find any decent pictures other than the one I took of my own bike before removing the coils and repairing the harness...

This clearly shows the cables routed under the coils as I described.

I still wonder if it's correct as I have seen one picture where they were routed left of the coils which would seem to give them greater flexibility. Perhpas next time someone has their tank off a K6 they could take a photo?

Regards all.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »
Do you have access to 'My CB750 book' by Mark Paris. (Hondaman)  Very useful image on page IV-17. Harness route around the coils.
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

DaveB

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
That sounds like the perfect image :)

I don't have access to that book, but I'll be happy to buy a copy.

Thank you.

DaveB

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »
Hardcover edition ordered. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. It sounds as though it will be a valuable source of info in my exploits with this bike :)

Thanks,

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 03:29:30 PM »
Excellent read, enjoy the book!
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK