Author Topic: Anatomy of a CX500 silencer .. showing baffles  (Read 1331 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Anatomy of a CX500 silencer .. showing baffles
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »
Internal baffling inside a CX500 silencer.... baffles still totally solid 'cos unbelievably (well to a couple of 'doubters' I have met  ;D) ....... it's only done 300 miles but totally rotted out at the front due to 35 years of damp storage. I couldn't really find decent pics on the Internet other than Honda's overall concept schematic diagram. I have some really nice original Sankei replacements thanks to a lead in Germany from Uli ( Sgt Pinback)   :)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Anatomy of a CX500 silencer .. showing baffles
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:35:43 AM »
Glad you got the original Sankeis.

So how is your restoration going on?

If you need further parts just let me know and will have a look here.
cheers, Uli

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
Glad you got the original Sankeis.

So how is your restoration going on?

If you need further parts just let me know and will have a look here.

Just working on it when I can between other projects/work Uli ... I still need some decent original dual-skinned downpipes (re-chroming originals still a possibility)  as repros get bad press on the CX forums ... I also need a decent chrome coolant pipe and possibly original handlebars but again re-chroming is an option.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:48:11 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »
Here is the official Honda diagram of the standard system.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 10:10:47 AM »
interesting.  I had flexible exhaust tubing on mine going into a Y piece and then into a silencer from a BSA A10.  Seemed to run really well, although rather loud.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »
In case anyone is reading this and thinks christ i have a nos rhs cx500 silencer i really dont know what to do with..im still on the look out ...darn rocking horse shxt

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »
Really interesting to see the section like that and at that many miles also.

You can see that the chrome further toward the end of the silencer has not protected the mild steel as it's essentially porous when plated straight onto steel base, but it hasn't rusted through.

The front end of the pipe I believe has been affected by combustion by-products from the time it was originally run. Notice how where the end of the intro tube allows the gasses into the silencer,  this has rusted on the inside close to the pipe but the rest of the baffles are relatively unaffected. This looks consistent with a very short run period.

The front end of the silencer I feel has been affected by partially unburnt or incomplete burn of fuel as it's just not really been run. The important content of this is, as far as I know,  sulphur dioxide. It's this acid into solution with water also from partial burning, when left in the pipe,  that has eaten the unprotected steel from the inside. Honda put a hole there to drain it out but without much running at higher temps,  it would bathe that section in acid heavy water. It's what contributes to acid rain and why engines have to be run leaner nowadays. This goes hand in hand with catalytic converters to bring down a range of emissions.

By extension,  it's a big concern of running these old bikes nowadays with the original pipes being so expensive and rare.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 10:44:49 PM »
In case anyone is reading this and thinks christ i have a nos rhs cx500 silencer i really dont know what to do with..im still on the look out ...darn rocking horse shxt
I wish I'd known last week, I gave them to the scrap men.   ;D
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal