Author Topic: 550 four k3 alternator rotor coils  (Read 2096 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: 550 four k3 alternator rotor coils
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
Nicely worked in that Steve. How is the new Tiger. Cracking bikes.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
Anorak alert!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you jump on the bandwagon too Steve  ;) !!  I  get PM's from members on here who actually appreciate the techie content that's why i came back here after a very offensive and personal  PM someone sent me last year.  My advice to folk who don't like the 'anorak techie' content is ignore it and don't read it if it offends you.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 10:56:59 PM »
That was an interestig point about water ingress and corrosion,this bike lay garaged for over 25yrs and when i stripped alternator it was all dry just some light corrosion.the battery had been removed at time of storage.in fact i still chat to previous owner it might be worth asking if he had issues with charging system.I set the multimeter to what Bryan had said,2000k and it initially read "1" .Then on first contact with either yellow wire the scale jumps about then settles at -0.00.it does this between any yellow wire and earth too.still to take pics.the windings are very firm and no obvious signs of melting.the "star" point looks bare but not near anything.I tapped up the 3 loose ends of the wires where they leave the windings as they looked like they were touching each other and bare too.you would think looking at the temps you gave Ash that the wires should not melt?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 12:07:05 AM »
I'd love to get an updated alternator on my cb500. I have one at least out of about 6 that is a dud, though beyond a basic visual inspection that showed no obvious issues I never did a proper diagnosis of its faults. Swapping it out cured the bikes charging, accidentaĺly 're fitting it caused them to return so failure ain't unknown but not that common given the age of the bikes.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 06:30:19 AM »
Anorak alert!

Don't you jump on the bandwagon too Steve  ;) !!  I  get PM's from members on here who actually appreciate the techie content that's why i came back here after a very offensive and personal  PM someone sent me last year.  My advice to folk who don't like the 'anorak techie' content is ignore it and don't read it if it offends you.
Could do with a bit of techie advice on my thread about the LED bulbs Ash if you have a minute. Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Anorak alert!

Ash.you continue. Your information is
Always worth reading

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
Ash, I also love to read your techy contributions. Absolutely do keep making them, if nothing else it helps us understand why cheap #### parts fail, and often it gives me an insight into how I might repair parts that are otherwise beyond economic repair, and the future of old bikes where parts are no longer made relies on owners keeping these bits to repair in the future if not right away.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
+1. Keep he techie stuff coming. Been very useful to me.
Mostly packed up full time work and miss the technical input from there and the cleaning/turning/materials/chemicals...
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
OK I will keep them coming but I will try to include techie stuff  in 'Anorak's corner' and not enter in the day-day general discussions  on here that, often,  merely cover old ground and could be answered  by using the excellent search facility on this site (unlike the USA one that's gone t*ts up and you have to use Google's search) or available in the Dropbox Honda manuals I put on here.  All I am trying to do with the techie stuff is lift the profile of this site so that's it's the 'go-to' forum for SOHC bikes in the UK and not just an 'also-ran' and hopefully  discourage people from migrating to the likes of Facebook (as a couple of well respected members on here  have already  done). Due to copyrite laws, other sites have had manuals etc available to download but subsequently have had to remove them and therefore you can't rely on them still being available just when you need them...that's why I used almost all of my free Dropbox space to host some manuals, which hopefully takes the onus off Steve. Likewise there are always spats on here about pattern parts, complicated by the fact that the likes of DS won't give you tech details. This is why, when I have time, I will get the 'experts' I know, though my work, to analyse or measure the parts and then there is no argument or build test gear to do it myself to do this. For example if you  get a pattern rubber item that's exposed to oil or fuel then a basic analysis will reveal if the material used was fit for purpose. This all takes time and effort though but once it's done it's done, published on here then hopefully there for the newbie guys coming along.

I think people sometimes have a pop at me on here  because, presently, I don't have any of my bikes on the road. I have personal/medical reasons why I don't ride at the moment but hopefully this will be resolved in time for me getting my CB500K0 finished (I have all of the parts for it now so no excuses  :D    ) . However, quite frankly, my personal situation/mental health is nobody's business on here. I am lucky to be here anyway 'cos I used to go to work every day on my 400/4's from 1977 to 1994 and my boss at the time informed me that, statistically, I was dead 17 times over  .... he was nicknames 'Dr. Death' by everyone who knew him though as he looked like Christopher Lee after a bad night out  :) .... he definitely  did have a very  ghoulish persona about him. Absolutely brilliant guy though ..worked at Harwell in WW2 until the Yanks purloined his heavy water.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 10:40:57 AM »
Any of you guys happen to have a spare for sale that works? i contacted westcountry windings on sat and their looking at £125 to have the windings redone.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
Any of you guys happen to have a spare for sale that works? i contacted westcountry windings on sat and their looking at £125 to have the windings redone.

Sorry can't help personally  ...there seems to be a lack of them for sale on eBay which makes me think they do fail ... Best bet IMHO is to call DK referring to this ended sale below  and see if they will price match on another one if they have one ...even though they don't take electrical stuff back if it's found to duff they have always been very reasonable with me. Those 70's Honda  stators are very hard to rewind ...hence the high price. Later ones that use permanent magnet 3-phase are much easier to rewind/repair.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB500-4-CB550F-Four-1972-1977-Generator-Stator-Windings-Field-Coil-/352036992297?hash=item51f70a3529:g:6KAAAOSw5UZY-0-w

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
There's one in this lot that I put on eBay. I have to many watchers to take it off!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282596988676?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »
Just went and looked at it and there is rust on it, I don't know if it would work but there is still magnatisum in it.

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 10:42:40 PM »
have you had any time to run a meter across it to see if it has shorted or that

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
I would not know how to do it I have a low tech draper meter but would not know what to set it too
If you talk me through it I could check it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal