Author Topic: 550 four k3 alternator rotor coils  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 550 four k3 alternator rotor coils
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
I just had a really good look at it and there are several broken wires on the winding at the join with the output wires. So I would say it's kaput.

Sorry I can't help you out with it. Clive

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 11:38:30 PM »
Hi As far as i know you have the three yellow wires coming from the rotor and a simple continuity test would show all 3 are connected (which they are at each of the other end of the wire in the windings) a meter set to show a reading when both probes are touched together should show the exact same reading if any two of the 3 yellow wires are touched with the probes but there should not be any reading if one probe is placed on the metal body which carries the windings and any/all 3 yellow wires.if you were to place a probe on the metal body and the other probe on a yellow wire and it showed a reading then there is a short circuit which is not good which is what is happening to my own.hope this helps?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
I don't suppose the 400 alternators are the same?
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 07:40:28 AM »
nope smaller

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 10:37:48 PM »
Just thought i would share my findings here.New coils arrived along with new all-in-one rectifier/regulator so thought i would try it all out.First off i found that the existing rectifier that should have had a connector-conector had been removed and all wires from that were bared/joined together!so new conectors are needed there but in the meantime ive fitted spades and taped up.i tested the battery before startup and it read 11.70 volts,after startup it read 11.30 volts and no amount of revs changed that.i took a reading at the black wire for the regulator and find its slightly less than that of the battery by half a volt.connecting that to the new rect/reg unit and nothing comes from the white wire.i put the black back onto the original reg still on the bike and get a reading of 10.70 from the white wire terminal so connected white wire to original reg and am now reading 12.3 volts across the battery at 2000rpm.so although i first read a short in the alternator,its charging using new rectifier and old regulator! any thoughts welcome...should i run it with new rect/old reg? the new unit came from ebay and stated it was for the 550 four

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal