Author Topic: Cylinder Head stud torque settings  (Read 3599 times)

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder Head stud torque settings
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »
Parts arrived from Holland, tea time, yesterday. Not too shabby, ordered Tuesday, here Friday, I can live with that.

Cmsnl.com
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 04:16:51 PM »
Head's coming along nicely, courtesy of Jim at Milwaukeemuscle.com

Head cleaned

Seats cut

Seat height adjusted

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 08:34:39 PM »
That looks real Purdy mate

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »
That looks real Purdy mate

Yes, I'm looking forward to getting it back on the bike, although im away for another three weeks yet.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 07:28:03 AM »
It looks so nice and clean, it seems a shame to bolt it together and make it invisible inside the engine. Maybe it would look great in a glass display case in your living room.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
It looks so nice and clean, it seems a shame to bolt it together and make it invisible inside the engine. Maybe it would look great in a glass display case in your living room.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

By the time I've finished putting it back together, that might be all it's fit for

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »
Can't praise Milwaukee Muscle enough. Top job, top bloke.

Head milled, valves and seats lapped. Ready for collection today.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »
Springs tested and shimmed to match closing force to within one pound of each other.

Head vacuum tested to prove seat and valve are tight.

Proper job.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 05:46:06 AM »
I'm back home, the head's back home and yesterday I put it on the bike. All was going well until I tried to put the cam shaft back. I can't get the timing chain onto the sprocket.

I am feeding the cam shaft through the chain and loose sprocket, from the right, but can't get enough slack in the chain to get it onto the sprocket. I've loosened the cam chain tensioner, at least I believe I have. How many turns can the tensioner bolt go in? I thought it was only a small amount of movement between full range of adjustment?

I got rained off yesterday, and jet lag got the better of me, so I'll be back at it today. Any thoughts, tips, encouragement, would be gratefully accepted.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 06:44:02 AM »
I'm back home, the head's back home and yesterday I put it on the bike. All was going well until I tried to put the cam shaft back. I can't get the timing chain onto the sprocket.

I am feeding the cam shaft through the chain and loose sprocket, from the right, but can't get enough slack in the chain to get it onto the sprocket. I've loosened the cam chain tensioner, at least I believe I have. How many turns can the tensioner bolt go in? I thought it was only a small amount of movement between full range of adjustment?

I got rained off yesterday, and jet lag got the better of me, so I'll be back at it today. Any thoughts, tips, encouragement, would be gratefully accepted.

First mistake people make is the guide blade in the wrong way round. It needs to face outwards so, you have the blade then chain between the blade and the outside front of the barrels and head. Make sure this is correct.
Secondly, I am not sure what tensioner bolt you are referring to ? You should not bolt anything up until the chain is on the sprocket. Or have any bolts in place.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »

First mistake people make is the guide blade in the wrong way round. It needs to face outwards so, you have the blade then chain between the blade and the outside front of the barrels and head. Make sure this is correct.
Secondly, I am not sure what tensioner bolt you are referring to ? You should not bolt anything up until the chain is on the sprocket. Or have any bolts in place.

On the front if the engine I have the chain between the blade and the outside as you say.

The tensioner bolt I refer to is the adjustment screw, which I have in the tensioner fully slack position, untensioned, or fully retracted back towards rear of engine.

When you say nothing should be bolted up, I take it you're referring only to the tensioner and not the head? I have the head torqued up, including the two M6 bolts front and back of engine. There is only the one bolt for the tensioner, through the cylinder head, at the top of the tensioner. Is this the one that should be left out until after fitting the camshaft and chain!

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »
Ha ha, cancel all that. Chain is on, now to time it.

I was putting the camshaft in from the right of the engine but had the chain on the left of the sprocket. Removed camshaft and sprocket, refitted, still from the right, but this time arranged it so chain was on the right if the sprocket. Went in easily.

Jet lag moment, no? Just lack of experience. Live and learn.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
The tensioner is automatic, do not try to turn that bolt with the cut in it or you will break it.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
The tensioner is automatic, do not try to turn that bolt with the cut in it or you will break it.

Yes, I knew tensioner was spring loaded. All I've done is slacken the tensioner screw locknut, and gently turn the adjusting screw in clockwise, about half a turn. Whilst I did this, I could see the tensioner shoe, retract. Nipped up locknut and carried on putting in the camshaft. Once it's all rebuilt, I'll slacken the lock nut and let the tensioner screw slowly reposition itself before retightening the locknut.

I'm at a dead stop again now though.  Can't find one of the cyl head cover locating dowels - grrrrr!

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
Saga continues. Found dowel, got cover on, all tappettts were fully loosened before putting cover on and held back by elastic bands, ready to set valve clearance, only to find my feeler gauge set doesn't go down to 0.05 or 0.08mm. Starts at .1mm - what use are they.

Off out to get a set. Might call it a day anyway and continue tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal