Author Topic: Cylinder Head stud torque settings  (Read 3580 times)

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder Head stud torque settings
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
Yes, a very expensive error..
To put new guilds in the head needs to be very hot, going this job can create more problems.
1) Due to the amount of heat needed, it is best to re-grind the seats, as they may distort a little, they only need kissing if not pitted. (Grind the seats, these do not like being cut)
2) Due to the amount of heat needed, always check the flatness of the head after and re-face if needed.
3) Who ever carries out this work, make sure they know what they are doing.

On replacing rocker housing, all tappets out and use the elastic band trick.

Thanks Trigger. Reputable shop doing the work and I'd already thought about refitting cylinder cover using elastic bands between corresponding inlet and exh valves.

I'll let you all know how I get on.
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
No matter how reputable the shop check if they know that the guides will need reaming after fitting and need doing to an exact size or its a waste of time and money

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 12:21:47 PM »
There are bronze guides from America you can get on eBay £130 + £20 post

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »
Yes, a very expensive error..
To put new guilds in the head needs to be very hot, going this job can create more problems.
1) Due to the amount of heat needed, it is best to re-grind the seats, as they may distort a little, they only need kissing if not pitted. (Grind the seats, these do not like being cut)
2) Due to the amount of heat needed, always check the flatness of the head after and re-face if needed.
3) Who ever carries out this work, make sure they know what they are doing.

On replacing rocker housing, all tappets out and use the elastic band trick.

Thanks Trigger. Reputable shop doing the work and I'd already thought about refitting cylinder cover using elastic bands between corresponding inlet and exh valves.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

I used a very reputable shop in Sheffield initials SS and they fucked it up big time.
Ended up having it all done again. >:( >:(

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:34:28 PM by paul gledhill »
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
No matter how reputable the shop check if they know that the guides will need reaming after fitting and need doing to an exact size or its a waste of time and money

Thanks, I will double check although I'm pretty confident this guy knows what he's doing.

http://www.milwaukeemuscle.co.uk/

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 01:30:30 PM »
There are bronze guides from America you can get on eBay £130 + £20 post

I saw some on Dynodam, was it, but I've placed an order with CMSNL now. Thanks for the info though.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »

Thanks, I will double check although I'm pretty confident this guy knows what he's doing.

http://www.milwaukeemuscle.co.uk/

Harley V twins Trigger is going to have something to say about that  ;) ;) ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:49 AM »
This is what will be done by Milwaukeemuscle.co.uk

Full overhaul consists of vapour blast, guides installed and sized, 3 angle seat recut and head skimmed.

Just waiting on the guides now from CMSNL. Anybody had parts from these guys? Are they efficient?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 06:46:05 AM »
Jim is a good old boy, just remind him that it is a Honda engine and not a Harley  ;D

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 08:31:57 AM »
I've used CMSNL for parts over quite a few years, as their stock seems to be wider than DS. At present I have an order in with them, it was placed on Monday last and a shipping date of 28th August came up on the same day. Perhaps because I mainly use them for the more obscure parts, delivery usually takes 2 - 3 weeks.

Once I needed to return a part (incorrect to packaging and also the description on screen/exploded drawing) and it worked well enough, they checked stock and found all others the same so obtained a fresh batch from the supplier. That took around six weeks, although they did offer a refund if preferred.

The important point is that if you need to return anything, you do need to use their "Ticket" system. When I returned the kick - start spring mentioned above, they gave me a named person in their office to communicate with who kept me up - to - date with timings for the replacement.

In short, I have been more than satisfied so far. (I hope that I'm not speaking too soon, with my latest order still to be delivered!).

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »
I've used CMSNL for parts over quite a few years, as their stock seems to be wider than DS. At present I have an order in with them, it was placed on Monday last and a shipping date of 28th August came up on the same day. Perhaps because I mainly use them for the more obscure parts, delivery usually takes 2 - 3 weeks.

Once I needed to return a part (incorrect to packaging and also the description on screen/exploded drawing) and it worked well enough, they checked stock and found all others the same so obtained a fresh batch from the supplier. That took around six weeks, although they did offer a refund if preferred.

The important point is that if you need to return anything, you do need to use their "Ticket" system. When I returned the kick - start spring mentioned above, they gave me a named person in their office to communicate with who kept me up - to - date with timings for the replacement.

In short, I have been more than satisfied so far. (I hope that I'm not speaking too soon, with my latest order still to be delivered!).

Hi flatfour

I've just rang them and they assured me the vlave guides would be dispatched today or tomorrow, via UPS and that I'd get a tracking number.

2-3 weeks delivery? From Holland? Wow. Oh well, if that's what it is, then that's what it is.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »
Jim is a good old boy, just remind him that it is a Honda engine and not a Harley  ;D

Yes, only spoken to him on the phone and via email but comes across as a genuine guy who is passionate about motorbikes.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »
In respect of the delivery times for my items from CMSNL, I think that before they made it to Holland for packing and dispatch to me as the end user, they were in transit across an ocean somewhere as they were non - stock items, or even still at the factory if pattern parts.

This is really little different to Kawasaki (for instance) as they operate today. Parts are bought in from suppliers, shipped to Japan if originally from overseas (luggage kits as an example) and then shipped to Holland, before finally being sent to the UK for dealer stock or order fulfilment. (I found this when my GTR needed a replacement drive shaft under warranty and my Versys 1000 a new pannier, as the original leaked from new).

When your parts are dispatched from CMSNL, it will probably be only three days or so before they arrive at your door!

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
In respect of the delivery times for my items from CMSNL, I think that before they made it to Holland for packing and dispatch to me as the end user, they were in transit across an ocean somewhere as they were non - stock items, or even still at the factory if pattern parts.

This is really little different to Kawasaki (for instance) as they operate today. Parts are bought in from suppliers, shipped to Japan if originally from overseas (luggage kits as an example) and then shipped to Holland, before finally being sent to the UK for dealer stock or order fulfilment. (I found this when my GTR needed a replacement drive shaft under warranty and my Versys 1000 a new pannier, as the original leaked from new).

When your parts are dispatched from CMSNL, it will probably be only three days or so before they arrive at your door!

Thanks flatfour. I have a UPS tracking number now and they claim delivery will be tomorrow, Friday. If that's true, then happy days.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »
Parts arrived from Holland, tea time, yesterday. Not too shabby, ordered Tuesday, here Friday, I can live with that.

Cmsnl.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal