Author Topic: CB550k PD46a jet size questions  (Read 652 times)

Offline davidrsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
CB550k PD46a jet size questions
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
Hi

I have a US import CB550K3 which has a set of pd46a carbs fitted, I'm having problems getting the bike to run correctly so I have taken the carbs off the bike again and I have removed the top covers and the float bowl covers. Looking at other posts on this forum I have noticed the standard Main jet size is 90 and the slow running jet is 38, my Main jets are 85 and my slow running jets are 42. Everything is clean and I have blown compressed air through all the internal channels, but before I reassemble them for another try on the bike could some kind soul answer the following for me please:

1) Are the different size jets for different climatic conditions, and should I change them to the standard sizes for running in the UK?
2) Are the Jet needle and the emulsion tube the same whatever the jet size?
3) Are the pilot jets (fuel/air mixture) the same size on all versions of the carbs, no matter what the other jet sizes?
4) If I do change the jets for standard sizes will I need to change the brass ferrel guide that is in the body of the carb that the jet needle goes through?
5) Is it possible to change the jet needles without disassembling the 4 carbs from the banking plate and having to disassemble the choke and throttle mechanism etc?

I have a copy of Brian Barnes How To document, are there any good guides around for these carbs that are worth a read?

Many thanks
Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal