Author Topic: Fuel for a bike that sees little use  (Read 870 times)

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
Fuel for a bike that sees little use
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
Hi guys. Apologies if this subject has been covered before. I've done a fair bit of searching but haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for.

I've got a cb550 that I bought from James on here nearly two years ago. Regrettably it's been a fairly slow project so far and still isn't registered yet. (US import)
I've just had the carbs refurbed by Gerben as they were in a pretty sorry state internally.
Gerben has warned against the use of fuel containing ethanol but it's my understanding that all fuel is required to contain at least 5% ethanol by law now as of this year.
I'm just worried that as the bike isn't being used yet that if I fit them and get the bike running that the fuel will ruin them again as it's not going to get regular use at the moment.
Is draining the bowls enough to stop them gumming up?

What do you good people do with your bikes fuel wise? Thanks. Luke.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
Re: Fuel for a bike that sees little use
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
During the winter months I fill all the tanks to the very top and periodically (1-2 months) start them to clear the float bowls. Providing the batteries are fully charged, I have no problems. I use the kick start as they are a bit 'lumpy' in the cold. All filled with E5 petrol and no additives.
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
In the winter I do the exact opposite.   I drain everything,  including the float bowls.  And leave the filler cap open so the tank dries out - not just the petrol but any water that's collected there.  It always starts first prod in the spring once filled with fresh juice.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:44:12 PM »
In the winter I do the exact opposite.   I drain everything,  including the float bowls.  And leave the filler cap open so the tank dries out - not just the petrol but any water that's collected there.  It always starts first prod in the spring once filled with fresh juice.

I can understand that. I think that condensation in a half filled tank/float bowls is the problem over the winter.
I also have a XL500s (no elec/start) which I use on clear days over the winter months, I'm always surprised that it starts 2nd/3rd kick on a 6 volt battery.
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »
Hi guys. Apologies if this subject has been covered before. I've done a fair bit of searching but haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for.

I've got a cb550 that I bought from James on here nearly two years ago. Regrettably it's been a fairly slow project so far and still isn't registered yet. (US import)
I've just had the carbs refurbed by Gerben as they were in a pretty sorry state internally.
Gerben has warned against the use of fuel containing ethanol but it's my understanding that all fuel is required to contain at least 5% ethanol by law now as of this year.
I'm just worried that as the bike isn't being used yet that if I fit them and get the bike running that the fuel will ruin them again as it's not going to get regular use at the moment.
Is draining the bowls enough to stop them gumming up?

What do you good people do with your bikes fuel wise? Thanks. Luke.

If Gerben rebuilt the carbs, he would of used Viton seals so, everything should be good.

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 10:14:43 PM »
So you wouldn't bother going to the trouble of running the bike on fuel with the ethanol removed by the likes of one of those ethanil kits? I did look into them but it seems a bit of a faff.
Would running the bike on good quality non supermarket fuel then draining the bowls be enough then?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:21:05 PM »
I have been running my CB400/4 on supermarket fuel for years. She is off the road for 6 months over winter every year, I leave the fuel in the tank, don't drain the carbs and she starts no problem on last years fuel each spring. Also, we have a CB750 here that sat in a coal shed for 8 years (not my coal shed) fired up no problem and didn't miss a beat on 8 year old fuel !!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:26:42 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
Whenever fuel is left in a float bowl most will evaporate leaving behind some residue.
How much builds up depends on how many cycles of this you put it through.
How much of a problem the build up causes depends on where it builds up, how small channels/jets are, and how easily accessible it is to remove.
If you're not going to run it at all it would be better to drain but probably doesn't matter much as you're only going to evaporate off one bowl full, if you're going to run it occasionally I'd drain or run dry each time.
What can really mess the carbs up is a petcock that slowly leaks so check it.
Ethanol also corrodes some metals, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't seem to be a big issue for our carbs.
The tank as already mentioned is about avoiding condensation, temperature changes draw air in and the water from it condenses and sinks below the fuel. A full tank leaves less air space.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
There are many rumours about ethanol in fuel that, once echoed over and over again in the fora on the internet, become 'truths'. That's why I translated an excellent article on this by an expert on fuels from German into English. You may find it an useful read.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »
Excellent read Deltarider, many thanks for posting. It seems that E10 in petrol  is NOT the end of our biking world.

Heavy going read though, as the terminology is degree + level...'resin-like precipitates'...that's gum or varnish in the carbs to many of us on here.
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 05:43:52 PM »
Yes, interesting read Delta. Just the thought of new/change to many is bad news. Remember, the furore when lead was phased out or catalytic converters arrived. I am open minded and try to absorb all the info, even if a lot of the chemistry is beyond me.
In the US they are very uptight about ethanol and just about blamed for anything. The fuel they served up years ago was far worse from the state of the carbs on many US imports here.
I have some STA-BIL that I was persuaded to buy, but probably a waste of money.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal