Author Topic: CB 750s not selling?  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: CB 750s not selling?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
Baaaaa,
  God,
  The problems I had with that. 'Seemed' to run ok but then 2nd gear failed, (this is 4 years ago now) went back and they replaced it. (Dublin - gone bust thank God!) got it back and carbs started too go out of tune, as they they do, but the wrong intake rubbers were fitted, letting in air. Difficult to set up with the splitter also. Timing chain couldn't be adjusted anymore, stripped it and found a new timing chain but still with the old tensioner and bits falling off it as sooooo brittle!?! So, that was it, a further strip and a new sleeve then had be fitted into no 4, along with other things the US had done or not done -  heart breaking. Some of the problems were probably in the US and some crap stuff (on the cheap) done in Dublin. Learn't my lesson there Trigger.
   Sorted it and she went to a new owner at £15,000. Miss her but, after Dream machine had got her hands on her, (fab job! Candy red) she was almost to good to ride. What an adventure that was! You never know what you buy when old and particularly in the States as I said earlier. I still envy those with them these days and saw one down Poole Quay recently, a bit tired but a rare sight there indeed or anywhere these days! Heh Ho.. Still have the photos..

Nige.

Offline ziggy stardust

• View Profile
    • Honda Hornet and my return.
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 05:08:33 PM »
Called into DKs the other day as I was traveling north just for a look round, loads of junk CB750s, in fact loads of junk. 

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
What a confusing market we are in with regard to what appears to be a stagnation/slow down on the sale of some Classic bikes (Brit and Jap) from my recent observations. Asking prices on EBay and C n Classic etc and the time to sell are rarely being achieved and taking a very long time, if at all.
  I'm looking to purchase another 750 to join my K3, possibly a K1/K2 (even that UK K0?? And that's not moving at that price either??) and wondering what's going on? Surely it's not just the time of year? In the words of a local Classic bike dealer, "the time of year makes little difference, it's the price and condition - we go through troughs and crests". I wonder what we are in - I'm a little nervous on paying top money in what maybe a more realistic market? The no of US imports coming in and look at the number of K0's and K1's hitting the UK - some absolute rubbish but some look ok and therefore must be be influencing the UK market?
  At last, some owners/dealers are accepting low prices which now allow for realistic engine investigation and bike restoration, particularly on US bikes which, as Trigger speaks with authority, confirms these engine are often in poor condition compared to UK ones.
  Hmmm, what to do.. Is that UK KO really going to sell for less than £6000?!?
  Wondered what other members' experiences are over the last 3/4 months?
  Nige.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2017, 08:31:04 AM »
Same old observation, people looking at bike's that don't sell. I have a list of customers looking for the right bike and if the right bike comes up that meets their criteria, I make a phone call. Every bike that meets the criteria had already sold in the past six months ;)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »
I have always said on here over the years and been shot down for it, that my UK CB750K0 which was one of the first batch 0f 20 (14 in fact) into the UK in Jan 1970 is worth £10k tops fully restored and if I ever came to sell it (unlikely but who knows what happens in life) and I got that for it I would be fine with that, any more would be a bonus. I have seen all sort of bikes advertised at inflated prices like the 'Franks' (Motorcycles Unlimited) of this world but they are just a bunch of 'bread-heads' as that old hippy Neil in the 'Young Ones' used to say in my book. I have never seen a sales Invoice for a CB750 diecast that states 'Sold blah blah £££££ for greater than £10k' Maybe someone on here has such a receipt to share with us. I mean outright sale not PX or horse-trading deals.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »
Go back a few posts and Sparrow sold his for £15K very easy, as it was all up together.
As I have said before, I will give you 10K once the K0 is all together as I have a customer wanting one for his collection. He has asked me over the past 4 years to find him one, restore it and he would pay top £££ but, I just don't have the time to do one for him.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 09:22:05 AM »
morning trigg.
do you have anyone waiting for a 500k0
my gold one may be making space soon

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »
Ah!, another opportunity for me to do my forboding of doom post, in 15 maybe only 10 years the classic bike market will die in the U.K. due to the demographics, there I said it (again), I feel much better now 😄👍.
Yours (stating the bloody obvious) Mark.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
Thanks for that Mark. And my stamp collection has dropped in value because of ebay. But I did make quite a bit on the children's Lego. (thanks to ebay that time). But the flood of imports from populous countries to the small UK market must have an impact. When I bought my 500 in 2003 I thought they were rare!

morning trigg.
Woodside, is your 500 KO finished, or still a project? Any pics.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »
Thanks for that Mark. And my stamp collection has dropped in value because of ebay. But I did make quite a bit on the children's Lego. (thanks to ebay that time). But the flood of imports from populous countries to the small UK market must have an impact. When I bought my 500 in 2003 I thought they were rare!

morning trigg.
Woodside, is your 500 KO finished, or still a project? Any pics.

Ha, no worries, it will hit me as well, my 900ss has doubled in value since I bought it, but it will slide back down again in a decade or so, who cares though, bikes are for riding not sitting in garages gathering dust as potential investments, IMO of course.
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »
Ah!, another opportunity for me to do my forboding of doom post, in 15 maybe only 10 years the classic bike market will die in the U.K. due to the demographics, there I said it (again), I feel much better now 😄👍.
Yours (stating the bloody obvious) Mark.

Thats good news as I am looking for a cheap R69S.
Market for those should already be dead  in UK, demographicaly.
cheers, Uli

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »
Ha yes, I'm looking fwd to being 70 years old, I'll be able to afford a Kawasaki H2 triple then 👍
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:21:18 PM by MarkCR750 »
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Greebo

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
Its a good job I did not buy my bikes as an investment then.
just enjoy them for what they are.. 8)

No investment is safe or guaranteed & I can tell you i have had personal experiences to prove it... >:(.. :'(

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »
Trigg,
 What I didn't say, was that I also let a spare brand new set of 300 pipes go with the K0 that I had snapped up from Slivers when they came up for £2000 2 years ago. Doh! How d'you spell PRATT...😏😡
  Now there's an investment in a particular market! 😳
  A confused Nige.

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »
I know that this topic is old and that may prevent me from being slaughtered, as no one may read it but what is so special about a 'UK bike'? I have been tinkering in this subject for about 25 to 30 years and have often heard people selling a bike, try to promote it as a 'Genuine UK Bike'. So what! To the best of my knowledge, no manufacturer, in any country employed anyone to walk down the line selecting the best examples for the UK. In the UK, it was more likely the export bikes would be better, especially for the lucrative US market. I know that a lot of stuff now coming from the US has a dubious history but a friend, who has a large stable of 60's Triumphs, assures me that we have no idea just how much was sold in the US, compared to Europe and especially our tiny market. On the initial subject of pricing, maybe the problem is e-bay? There are so many tales of 'victims' that people are becoming wary. I was wary but in a moment of madness got caught anyway and panicked into buying a 1970 model (my favourite). Now I don't even look at e-bay.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal