Author Topic: Electrical Failure  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Velofello

• View Profile
Electrical Failure
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
I can start my 400/4 up on the button ,but after about 3 to 5 mins it stops with total electrical failure. No lights, no neutral lights no horn. Leave it for about 5 mins hey presto it starts on the button. If I ride off it will fail again whereupon I wait at the side of the road for electricity to return and off I go . Not a very good way to travel !
Battery is in good condition . I have checked the obvious eg earthing, battery connections and wiring damage but nothing immediately obvious.
Any suggestions(polite!) as to where to look/ check next

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Electrical Failure
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »
Total electrical failure means some sort of disconnection (like a blown fuse).

You say that it comes back on - is this after the bike has cooled down a bit?

My guess would be some sort of high temperature failure with the fuse or fuse holder that "re-connects" when cool.

Ash will know...  :)

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Velofello

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the response. Yes the symptoms are as described. The bike starts after it has cooled down. I don't even get any life from the starter button when it fails.
I was thinking high temp failure but of what ? Your suggestion of fuse or holder seems to make sense as I have had problems with a previous 400/4 failing in this area, though not in the same manner as my current one. That was yellow too !

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »
That was yellow too !

There's your problem then - get it repainted a different colour!

Seriously, it could be a fractured solder joint that just expands with heat.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
I have had a few bikes have that issue over the years, 750F1 & 2, 400 fours, 550F1 & 2, and a Cb650. There was a common problem with them all, the ignition switch. On some, the switch needed taking apart and a loose rivet that held the terminal pins in place peened over with a hammer to make them tight again, on others the plastic switch part had come loose/ become dislodged from the metal lock body causing your symptoms intermittently. Often the plug on the loom to the ignition switch will show signs of heat damage, as poor connections increase resistance, which produces heat.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
I would agree with hairy, check your key switch. The other is the fuse box, if its original (as image) take it off and check the terminals at the
rear. The copper and solder terminals may look OK, but they will become brittle/overheated with age.
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:00:57 PM »
The socket for the fuse holder, a 6 way block with spades, is a favourite for bad contacts.  The contacts go green and cruddy which can lead to overheating due to the amount of current flow.  The fuse holders themselves may need a polish with autosol so they make a reliable contact.
The key switch could have intermittent contact.  Strip, clean and grease to keep the moisture out.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Velofello

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:28:51 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. They all seem to be pointing me in a similar area, ignition switch & fuse holder. When I get some free time I will look at these and report back as it may help others. Of course the obvious solution is to stay away from yellow ones !

Offline Harold 400/4

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »
Had this some years back on my 400/4.  Turned out it was dirty connections where the main fuse sits in the fuse holder. Cleaned it up and it has been fine since.

Offline Fraccie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »
Try getting an aerosol of proper contact cleaner and go through the fuse box and ignition switch. Bit of scotchbrite will help as well.

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
Mine was a fuse wire had parted company with the ends- after nearly 40 years.
i replaced the fusebox from a better 2nd hand one and all the fuses, off course. that fuse would 'make' contact again when it cooled down!! fag packet paper got me home-

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal