Author Topic: Exhaust system help please  (Read 638 times)

Offline Stuartbellwood

• View Profile
Exhaust system help please
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:45:13 PM »
Hi

I want to custom another cb 550 but this one that i have found is a K0 with a 4/4 fitted, but I want a 4/1, can I just fit one or do i need to make some mods?

Thank you in advance

Stuart

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust system help please
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:17:32 PM »
Most 4into 1 exhausts mean losing the centre stand, which makes basic maintenance a right royal pain. Motad if you can find one means you can keep the centre stand and they claimed no re jetting was needed if run with standard airbox, most others need re jetting.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »
If you want to go deaf try and find a piper!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
If the 4 into 1 doesn't have a center stand stop its easy enough to fabricate one. If you are customising you might decide to loose the centre stand, although I would strongly recommend keeping it as it's just so extremely usefully and I hate maintaining a bike without one, makes even lubricating the chain or tensioning it a chore.  Once you decide  customising a bracket is something you are ok with it means the choice of exhausts expands a bit as then cb500 and 550 exhausts mount to the rear footrest brackets differently due to the brackets on the frame being different.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
Delkevic make stainless 4 into 1 systems for these and come with the fittings that allow you to retain the centre stand, i have one on my 350f and have not needed to re-jet. these systems are good and come in under £300-

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 10:48:30 PM »
Do Dave silver's still offer GSM systems? My 500 had one fitted when I first had it, the silencer had rotted apparently but the collector and downpipes still had good chrome and were solid, so the previous owner had grafted on another silencer, also chrome. The result was great. The random silencer was from an auto jumble and turned out to be a triumph rocket 3 - 70s one, quite rare. I heard the previous owner bringing it over from about 6 miles away. Power output was good too though it had been fitted with a K&n retaining the phlemnen chamber and was probably 're jetted. Over the years I've fitted cb550 engines, different exhausts, almost all the 4 into 1s around on the used markett, K&n pods but only in that first setup had quite the power output to unstick the rear wheel if thrown into a corner (sidecar so that's more likely and awesome fun) I must say Lazer 4 into 1 was both loud and very tough / brilliant quality, mine was on for quite a few years, used in all weather's, as my only transport, never rusted and it was rather old and dented when I bought it. It also was ok with standard jetting as were my mortad (Neta 4 into 1 and the chrome mortad system ( not so good in durability, the downpipes are still good but the silencer and collector went but again all weather's and bought used. For a custom it's no bad thing to play with fitting alternative silencers to a 4 into 1 system where the silencer has died. Saves money, and you get something different.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal