Author Topic: goldwing issues  (Read 876 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
goldwing issues
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »
As some of you know i have a gl1000 goldwing and i am having a problem which someone may be able to help me with. It starts and runs well, has had usual carb rebuild and new points etc, but after a run when i pull up at a junction it will not tick over and will stall unless i keep blipping the throttle, also has a slight hanging idle, then suddenly the revs will drop and stall. can also be a bit reluctant to start again. i suspect carbs but any other ideas? Oh i checked plug colour seemed a bit white, all plugs similar colour.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: goldwing issues
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
The thoughts are of an intake leak when it's hot.
Any rubber carb mounts?
Hardened O rings?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »
Typical air leak or carb jet problem mate

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »
thanks will look into that, problem is new rubbers not available. if i connect the vacuum gauges would that show which one was leaking?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:43:34 AM »
Probably not but try spraying a small amount of easy start around the joints and rubbers one at a time and see if revs pick up. I am junking a GL1000 executive thats too fr gone so bits can be available if you want

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
I've wrapped some self amalgamating rubber tape around the air intakes in the past.  That worked fine until I found some replacements.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:38 PM »
I've heard that shrink sleeve works well on cracked carb rubbers, not tried it myself but it sounds logical.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »
Just an update on this, after the advice given i checked the inlet rubbers and sprayed some carb cleaner around them when the engine was running. It did not alter the revs at all but when i checked the clamps one was a bit loose so i tightened them all as much as i could when it was warmed up, then set carbs. Was only able to get out on it today between rain showers and it seems much better, ticks over and revs fine with no hanging idle. Thanks guys, and i still maintain a wing is a SOHC (per bank) !!

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 08:07:37 PM »
Glad you seem to be sorted - I think any bike is OK on the forum, provided it's in the right section, which yours is. Might draw the line at my GL1500 which is a SOHC (on each bank) six. Next on the bench after my 'other' 400/4 will be my GL1000 which needs belts and the full carb job.  I must say that the Easy Start spray has tracked down many faults on bikes and cars for me, the most recent was a duff seal on the supercharger elbow on my Daimler - wouldn't be without a can.

Ian

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
goldwing issues
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 11:30:54 AM »
I'm doing a set of GL1000 carbs at the moment...quite a time consuming job but very therapeutic bringing this set back from the dead...and having to deal with 6/7 jets per carb...

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »
Yes, my GL 1000 was running like a bag of soot recently so I'm about to go in there and sort it.  Randakk's kit and his excellent DVD should put it back to the sweetie it used to be.  Mine's a very early one which I got as a U.S. Import from West Coast (Southport) back in the 90's then sold it to my Cousin just before we moved here to Orkney and bought it back a few years ago.

Ian

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:35:47 PM »
James the carbs are very unusual and complicated, as Ian mentioned the randakk kit seems to be the best and in the dvd he points out many details including the fact some manuals put 2 jets the wrong way round so worth checking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal