Author Topic: Noise from clutch cover and won't turn anti-clockw  (Read 2289 times)

fothers

Noise from clutch cover and won't turn anti-clockw
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:42:34 PM »
Hi All,
The kick starter on my '77 CB550F2 got stuck at the bottom of the stroke with a \"twang\" the other day. When I managed to free it, it overshot the return and whacked into the clutch cover so I realigned it on the splines. Now I can't turn the crankshaft backwards and the bike won't roll backwards (except in neutral or with the clutch lever in).
The bike starts, runs and all gears select ok but there is a loud clicking noise from the clutch cover when the bike is in neutral. This disappears when the clutch is in and any gear is selected and then reappears as the clutch is let out.
I think this might be something to do with the kick starter return spring or ratchet gear not releasing fully or maybe the starter clutch not releasing?
I'll be dropping the oil and taking the cover off for a look in the next couple of days but I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

PS - The kick starter operates better than it did before - it never used to bite until nearly at the bottom of the stroke, but now it turns the engine right from the top but does sometimes stick right at the bottom.

Cheers,
Pete.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal