Author Topic: CB750K4 New project  (Read 12181 times)

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
CB750K4 New project
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
So here she is, my new winter project complete with strange trumpet style exhausts which sound quite good but will be getting replaced, big wide USA style bars, engine bars in decent nick may keep them, pattern seat looks brand new with metal base. In remarkable condition for her age 44! One or two bits missing / non std but not too much. Wont be doing a nut & bolt resto, just a clean up and repair, i like a bit of original patina and she will be a tidy rider like my other bikes, not a show winner.  Gonna keep me busy for a while i think.... Overall I'm quite happy 😊

Dodgy non standar rear shocks will be getting replaced

Rear mudguard and light assembly almost perfect

Couple of dents in front mudguard which i may be able to smooth out, chrome is sound

One or two marks in the paint...may go for a respray and change of colour ?

Hardly any wear on the front disk, no ridges....

Hornets nest under the rear light assembly,,, fortunately the occupants were long gone.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:03:01 AM by Rob62 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: CB750K4 New project
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
Love the hornets, you may find them in your headlight bowl  ;)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:29:24 PM »
Nice find ...That Asahi Denso filler cap is worth  a lot of money. The plastic lens always yellows but there is a clock glass on eBay that costs peanuts and fits perfectly bonded in with semi-flex ultra clear epoxy. Mine sold within 1 hour on Ebay for £100 to a guy in Japan.  I found  two dried up Idaho wasps  inside the crankcases of my '69 CB350.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:31:25 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:35:31 PM »
Found a gold and diamond ring in the bottom of a CB550F1 air box that came from the states. Strange what you find on and in old bikes.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »
Found a gold and diamond ring in the bottom of a CB550F1 air box that came from the states. Strange what you find on and in old bikes.

You 'poppin' the question' then Trig  ;)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:48:09 PM »

It was a wedding ring mate  ::)
A mate of mine found a $50 note rolled up in the handle bars of a bike he imported.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:51:06 PM »

A mate of mine found a $50 note rolled up in the handle bars of a bike he imported.

Hmm ..back in my romantic days .... wedding rings were gold bands and engagement/eternity rings had diamonds in 'em  ;)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:53:56 PM »
I like your thinking: keep it as is, enjoy riding it.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »

Hmm ..back in my romantic days .... wedding rings were gold bands and engagement/eternity rings had diamonds in 'em  ;)

Not in the states, sold it to jewellery John and he told me it was a wedding ring and gave me a hand full of shrapnel  ;D

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 11:14:36 PM »
Nice find ...That Asahi Denso filler cap is worth  a lot of money. The plastic lens always yellows but there is a clock glass on eBay that costs peanuts and fits perfectly bonded in with semi-flex ultra clear epoxy. Mine sold within 1 hour on Ebay for £100 to a guy in Japan.  I found  two dried up Idaho wasps  inside the crankcases of my '69 CB350.
Thanks for the info.... i knew it wasn't a std filler cap but didn't realise it was valuable... If it works ok I'll keep it, if not i may try to sell it. Hopefully there wont be any more wasps but im worried about the airbox and the headlamp bowl now  :o

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
Thanks for the info.... i knew it wasn't a std filler cap but didn't realise it was valuable... If it works ok I'll keep it, if not i may try to sell it. Hopefully there wont be any more wasps but im worried about the airbox and the headlamp bowl now  :o
It'll drive you nuts on the road, there is a plastic/resin float attached by a chain in the tank. As you ride along you get a strange clunking/thumping noise (depends on how full the tank is) that drives you nuts, caused by the float thing moving about and bumping the inside of the tank!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:02 PM »
It'll drive you nuts on the road, there is a plastic/resin float attached by a chain in the tank. As you ride along you get a strange clunking/thumping noise (depends on how full the tank is) that drives you nuts, caused by the float thing moving about and bumping the inside of the tank!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Totally agree but for some reason the Japanese love em. The one they did for the Z1 is even more valuable!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Used-KAWASAKI-ASAHI-DENSO-GAS-CAP-K-7-Z1-900-Z2-750-H1-500-H2-S1-S3-400-/162625011445?hash=item25dd34bef5:g:eGMAAOSw66pZi4J3

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
Spoke to the DVLA a few days ago about getting an age related registration number. I told them that as far as I know Honda wouldn't confirm the age of the bike as it isn't  a uk model, as i had been told by DK and also on Honda uk website. I wanted to confirm that they would accept a dating letter from the vjmc before I shelled out for one. The woman on the phone told me i could use a vjmc letter but that i would also need to provide a letter from Honda saying why they couldn't date the bike...  she also said I would need the nova letter...although you dont actually need to send it, you just ned to know that it has been processed...

So today I called Honda UK to ask for a letter. I was surprised to be told by the customer services that if i send details of the model, the engine and chassis number along with a cheque for £30 they will provide the service.... thats not what i had expected them to say. So this afty i sent off the letter and cheque and will wait to see what happens.....according to them it can take upto 6 weeks.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 07:10:29 PM »
Got a reply from Honda UK today. DK were right, they say they cant date the bike as its not on their database.... So now I can get the VJMC to date it for me. What I dont understand is why the customer services operator told me they could date a USA bike when in fact they cant, still at least I now have a letter from them to send off to the DVLA... Honda also sent the cheque back btw...

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18:37 PM »
Can I just ask, purely out of interest, if Honda UK can't date it, how do the VJMC date it?
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal