Author Topic: CB550 Petrol tank leaking - hairline opening worn in the under side  (Read 3155 times)

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
Re: CB550 Petrol tank leaking - hairline opening worn in the under side
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
I have a CB550F1 - I believe the F and later K's to be the same but I could be wrong.

I'd go for this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-550-K-Petrol-Tank-/263189194643?hash=item3d474c6793:g:zV8AAOSwmPdZrwJu if it weren't for the fact that I'm waiting to find out if the guy is gong to find me a replacement and pay for it. It all gets a bit complicated. Or I could just buy this and spend me own money and forget it. Not ideal though.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Make sure that they are not bidding against you, as he won't find a good replacement that easy. Don't let the muppet  get away with it, any good welder would know not to weld any sealed container.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »
I've lead soldered a tank before with a blow torch but left the lid open.  I put the empty tank out in the sun for a few days with lid open and to check, put my nose in the hole before I started.  All fuel had evaporated.  Do not use detergent, it can form an emulsion with the residual fuel and trap it into the container rather than wash it out.

Also, I have sucessfully repaired a leaking seam on a tank with araldite, it seems completely inpervious to petrol.

No one should apply heat to a sealed box.  Perhaps they are too young to remember what a steam engine is.  I hope you are properly compensated.

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
Here is the damage

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »
Ooh, one seriously obese looking tank!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »
Yep, unfortunately that's a skip job, the top is wrecked too.

any good welder would know not to weld any sealed container.
+1
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 03:09:27 PM »
That welder needs to go back to college and listen this time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:13:04 PM by Trigger »

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
We reached an agreement. I have decided to purchase a NOS from CMS. I must be insane.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 06:59:26 PM »
You'll have to be quick, only one left!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
Well - for those interested, I have the bike back on the road, and ironed out the issues from the top end rebuild. New tank is fine (though I had to steal the 750s petcock because the old tank had a different size one. From when I bought it, a fairly well preserved example which ran like crap and leaked oil from many places to oil-tight nearly-new performance:

https://youtu.be/jMd8tn1D8Bo

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2017, 12:19:19 PM »
Looks and sounds sweet  :) I am doing the later F2 at the moment and can't find a OEM exhaust system for it.

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »
I live in fear of the day that mine gives up the ghost, or I damage it. Now with motad out of business...

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
I live in fear of the day that mine gives up the ghost, or I damage it. Now with motad out of business...
A lot of people remove the OEM pipes and fit a Motad, which are still available at some parts suppliers. There is a member on here that had a stainless steel one made to original spec.
Here is a very nice one but, still on the bike >>> http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C913871

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
First job I had when I left school was working at a petrol tank laminators. Back then you couldn't get pattern tanks and manufacturer's new tanks were too expensive. We were mad busy all day every day, there was a massive diesel powered pressure washer which I used. It had a detergent tank and produced high pressure steam. We'd remove the petrol tanks, take out the senders and thoroughly wash and rinse the tanks out, grind off all the paint, braze any holes or plate large patches and then laminate the whole tank in fibre glass mat and then tissue, finish off painting in gloss black.

The end result used to look pretty good but when pattern tanks came out they were more or less the same price, still did the odd car with a rare tank but eventually the firm folded. In the time I was there despite all the precautions we still had two tanks explode. One time we ran out of detergent & diesel so I was told just to give the tank a thorough wash with the steam cleaner set to high pressure cold wash. The welder lit the oxy/acet torch and went to scrape the torch tip on the tank filler pipe. Bang, the tank ripped apart at the seam and he suffered flash burns to his face and hands, all his hair and eyebrows singed off. Obviously I got the blame and a good bollocking. Made me very cautious when I started welding them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal