Author Topic: Early 500  (Read 919 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Early 500
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 03:26:15 PM »
Quick look and I recon

Incorrect rear light bracket and light
Big reflectors on headlamp brackets
Speedo and tacho on wrong sides
Colour too orange, but that could be photos
No side panel transfers
UK bars
Not UK rh switch

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Early 500
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 03:50:43 PM »
Tricky one Ash. As you know, I have three of these early square case 500's that are unrestored. All need new pipes and one has suffered cosmetically from poor storage - but they're all very low mileage original examples and run like swiss watches. So difficult line to tread between sympathetic recommissioning and a full resto...

Trigg showed me the countershaft of a 500K0 very low miler and it was toast, mine had the countershaft cage breaking up in the needle roller bearing when I stipped it  and the 'York Guru'  told me that not many of the early squared off crankcase ones survived due to the gearbox problems. There was a Class Action court ruling against Honda on it. I wonder if that's what delayed them bringing it into the UK? After the hoo-ha with the 750 sandcast crankcase breakages they probably worked pretty sharpish in putting it right and delayed importing it here. Difficult one for you James unless the bikes you have were recalled and fixed. The one you have with the resprayed flake brown tank has a superb seat profile ..never seen a better one  ;)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal