Author Topic: The (Original) Black Bomber thread  (Read 9973 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
The (Original) Black Bomber thread
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:58:04 PM »
Might as well start somewhere. Here's my '67 Bomber imported from the US with 1471 miles from new, completely unrestored and will stay this way in my ownership...

As discovered:

Goodwood Revival 2017:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:49:09 AM by SteveD CB500F »

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Bomber thread
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »
great pictures James,

interesting to note the style ,trying to mirror 60's big twins ,and before the "candy" bright paint work,

a friend locally has a later disc braked USA import .

very nice

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:45:54 PM »
Brilliant find James .... has later 'flip'  front seat (never imported here) and not a Fuji Electric speedo/tacho (Nippon Seiki instead). I believe MickT told me that Honda UK imported a large batch in 1966 and they sold badly with bikes unsold even into the 70's so they didn't import any more. (I know someone who's Bomber was1st reg'd a L reg. I often wonder if that was the reason Honda UK were then reticent and didn't import the CB750 until Jan 1970and and even then, in very small batches initially.

This delightful lady has the ideal item for you to convert it to a British model ;D ;D ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172861287723?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »
What happened to the Black bomber owners club/ UK forum ? I can always remember the page with a line up of bikes.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »
What happened to the Black bomber owners club/ UK forum ? I can always remember the page with a line up of bikes.

There is a Facebook closed group .. James & myself are on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/19998773432/
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »
great pictures James,

interesting to note the style ,trying to mirror 60's big twins ,and before the "candy" bright paint work,

a friend locally has a later disc braked USA import .

very nice
Thanks John. It was a bit of a lucky find from a contact in the states I don't normally deal with. I jumped on it (albeit slightly impulsively) as I'd always admired them / wanted one. I also have a '68 CL450 So they make an interesting pair. Turned out to be a superb buy. I need to get some proper photos taken of her when it's not pissing down.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:41:40 PM »
Brilliant find James .... has later 'flip'  front seat (never imported here) and not a Fuji Electric speedo/tacho (Nippon Seiki instead). I believe MickT told me that Honda UK imported a large batch in 1966 and they sold badly with bikes unsold even into the 70's so they didn't import any more. (I know someone who's Bomber was1st reg'd a L reg. I often wonder if that was the reason Honda UK were then reticent and didn't import the CB750 until Jan 1970and and even then, in very small batches initially.

This delightful lady has the ideal item for you to convert it to a British model ;D ;D ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172861287723?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Ha ha ash as tempting as it is to pass her off as a Uk bike, she so beautifully unmolested I'd rather just keep her 'as-is'.

As you know, my mate Andy is restoring a Bomber at the moment, so she's on permanent loan to him so he has a reference to-hand of an unmolested example.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:24:56 AM »
I suppose I should chip in here as I am the "other member" that Ash sold the bomber to. Not started the rebuild yet as it's still third on the runway, hoping to get going in the new year. I would love there to be a permanent Bomber thread on here.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »
Looks like a very good start for a restoration. Don't have mine anymore, sold it on in 2013  :'(

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 07:37:07 AM »
Ive always wanted a bomber..almost got there a couple of times but for one reason or another just didnt happen..
Ive had a later 450 and a cl450 and they were stonking bikes but i love the looks of the BB..
Id love a good used original one as i think they age really well

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:50:52 AM »
Roy, there is another guy in Lancs (t'other side of the Ribble from you) with a Bomber and has panniers on it a bit like those I bought from your mate.  He's involved with the VJMC in that area, so perhaps you know him.  I would love to have a Bomber but 'only' have the similar looking smaller sibling, a CB77 from 1964.  It too is awaiting a bit more work but has a pair of genuine new silencers (£408 back in the early 90's!) plus lots of other NOS stuff.
Just on with the engine out of my other 400/4 - has anyone ever stripped a 350 or 400/4 and found the cam chain horseshoe undamaged?  Out of a dozen or more of these engines I've done I never found one perfect one.
I shall lurk in the background of the Bomber folk - you never know I might find a good 'un one day,
Ian

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »
My 350F had a horseshoe that not only moved freely it looked almost new, which is strange as the rest of the engine was a mess.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »
I would like to start a CB250-350K thread too (particularly the K0->K2 as I own 4.5 bikes ! ..bit of an anorak on those models really ..surprise !

Plus I will contribute to the Bomber thread when I get all of the bits together and lay them out .. a real labour of love as the bike and the CB72 that came with it  was scattered all over the place and mixed together with other bike parts. Beware if you buy one though as many parts are hens teeth/RHPoo items plus there are loads of people hoarding the parts thinking they are holding the Queens jewels .. which is a real shame ...  kettle738 on here  was owner of the 'Royal Bomber'....  twice ! ...... but I will leave him to tell that very interesting  story. He's owned quite a few, so a bit of a guru on them.

I know I have linked these before but just compare the Bomber road test and the reviews of other Hondas around that time... Not the best review and hardly enough to send 60's UK bikers out in their droves to buy 'em. Personally I loved the look of the K1 .. particularly the tank plus it's 5 speed box. The Bomber crank is unique .. a really unusual construction for Honda .. a bit like a race crank really.

Sorry some a big scan files ..perhaps James could convert them all to one document !
Bomber Review:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3r1028k5qhub4rk/AABibmd3hvrD4bMbLDBk86Rpa?dl=0
CB72 Review
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ly92qmzivx1ina/AAD4TwKvGkiEs14baZ_2krIGa?dl=0
CB77 Review
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3tfcttyg9iop2le/AAAxZlwOE_FV5aUtVly3HZqda?dl=0
CB250K0 Review
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aostg1ai2kf2oli/AAAEIMer-LyxCz6Bc6XQEqQna?dl=0
CD175A Sloper Review
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1g45lhqdvjrqn5j/AAAdhcpSluIrpBVlMghLuYppa?dl=0
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:24:52 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 04:34:52 PM »
Looks like a very good start for a restoration. Don't have mine anymore, sold it on in 2013  :'(
It is actually a very complete bike but in need of the full works. Some parts like the front mudguard are beyond salvation so am on the lookout for bits. It's a genuine 1967 UK bike with loads of old paperwork with it. That's the advantage of buying a bike off Ash, it's always going to be a well researched unit and this one is no exception. I am very pleased with the purchase and am looking forwards to getting on with it.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »
That was a great buy and you're right Ron you were lucky to get that from Ash...my mate Andy's bike is way less complete and needs ££££ spending on it...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal