Author Topic: The (Original) Black Bomber thread  (Read 9956 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Bomber thread
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 10:18:05 PM »
That was a great buy and you're right Ron you were lucky to get that from Ash...my mate Andy's bike is way less complete and needs ££££ spending on it...

HA HA ..I thought I sold it to a guy called ROY ...  Jamey  ;D ;D

Roy ...I just got a NOS in box Genuine front mudguard for mine in Japan...happy bunny!

My second reserve was this one below but it would need de-chroming and importing (perhaps somebody on here may know a cheap import route into the UK). The pattern ones (inc. David Silvers)  have rolled front and rear edges which is incorrect. I also have one that I swapped with James's mate  for other parts but it's not great  around the centre brace. Yours for free if you want it though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-450-CB450-Black-Bomber-Front-Fender-Braces-279-/371912962047?hash=item5697bd6fff:g:DNQAAOSwWxNYrcIC&vxp=mtr
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:27 PM »
Ooops sorry Roy. Senior moment ha ha...

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »
Ron's okay, been called much worse than that ;D .... I was looking at the DS mudguard with a view to cutting off the front and back rolled edge, but now I'm not so sure that a rolled edge is such a bad thing..... I'm probably not as into "perfect" as I know you are Ash, although it's early days yet so a good genuine item may appear as it did for you..... I am also looking into just replacing the blade as the stays are good.... Will give it some more thought when i've started the project.... Thanks for the offer by the way.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
Ron's okay, been called much worse than that ;D .... I was looking at the DS mudguard with a view to cutting off the front and back rolled edge, but now I'm not so sure that a rolled edge is such a bad thing..... I'm probably not as into "perfect" as I know you are Ash, although it's early days yet so a good genuine item may appear as it did for you..... I am also looking into just replacing the blade as the stays are good.... Will give it some more thought when i've started the project.... Thanks for the offer by the way.

OK Ray   :)... Pretty sure you could fabricate a front stay...  they are very 'agricultural' ..that's what I was going to do. I don't think cutting the rolled edge  would create the correct effect .... better to leave it rolled IMHO. Another option is to get Eric in Vietnam to make a double-cut blade (he makes rolled edge ones too) He made me an unchromed blade for my 750K0 and once chromed here it turned out looking  really nice. I have his details somewhere.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
Hi Roy,
Are there no skilled metalworkers in your area - perhaps ex Aerospace, who could let a piece in the bad area behind the forks?  Or perhaps it's too much like lace curtains.  My 350 Norton guard looked worse than your Bomber one but a couple of carefully let in patches, a good dose of patient straightening, soon had it ready for a thin skim of modern body filler (Upol No 1). I appreciate it's nowhere near as easy if you are chroming but a painted original guard for me is better than mega money for an illusive new one or copy.

Ian

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 09:18:21 AM »
Hi Roy,
Are there no skilled metalworkers in your area - perhaps ex Aerospace, who could let a piece in the bad area behind the forks?  Or perhaps it's too much like lace curtains.  My 350 Norton guard looked worse than your Bomber one but a couple of carefully let in patches, a good dose of patient straightening, soon had it ready for a thin skim of modern body filler (Upol No 1). I appreciate it's nowhere near as easy if you are chroming but a painted original guard for me is better than mega money for an illusive new one or copy.

Ian

Pretty sure that may be possible with the spare I have Ian but I think the one on Roy's is basically B.E.R. Bonus is that his rear one is in really nice condition .. .. probably slightly better than the one I have for mine. Rearguards are 'Hens teeth'  items too and harder to reproduce.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:28:06 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 09:25:38 AM »
Would you guys like a Black Bomber board ?

Save using one thread for everything.

No problem for me if there is enough interest.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
And maybe a Twins board?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »
I would have thought sub boards in 'Other Bikes' Steve.

One feature I do find on other forums though is an extended 'latest' posts feature. If you go away on Holiday for a week and come back here, then you have to trawl through the various categories to find  'newish' ones you missed that have already gone from 'Recent Topics'  . Or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:34:46 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
Love that idea Steve go for it. May draw in some new membership as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
Have you never tried this Ash?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
Don't seem to get that little old option on mine Steve .. what am I doing wrong.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
You need to be on the forum home page, rather than your own profile page
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
I only rode a Black Bomber once, as a student in UMIST bike club in the 70's we'd go up the Cat & Fiddle for a club run, where we'd all swap bikes at the pub and go for test rides. God knows who was insured for what, noone asked. Up there was also the first time I rode a Commando, Suzuki RE5 rotary, 500 and 750 Kawasaki triples, a CB400 and who knows what else.

As a teenager, once I had become interested in bikes and engineering, I borrowed various workshop and owners manuals from my local library, unusually one of the modern 'state of the art' bikes they had a manual for was the CB450 (which shows how long ago I was a teenager  ;D ). The thing that stuck in my mind was the torsion bar valve 'springs'. I get how a spring works, but I could never get my head round torsion bars - if you keep twisting and untwisting a piece of metal, why doesn't it get metal fatigue and break? Or a least stop being as 'springy'? Also, why? is it cheaper to make or does it give better control like desmos, ie no valve bounce at high revs?

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »
You need to be on the forum home page, rather than your own profile page

Gottcha cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal