Author Topic: The (Original) Black Bomber thread  (Read 9959 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Bomber thread
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »
Still own two of these :).. Had a 160cc in the 70's. Never seen another 'C' reg Bomber in the UK though ( genuine UK not import)

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
I am getting an irrational urge to buy a CL450, there seem to be plenty in the States but like hen's  teeth everywhere else.

All the looks of the CL350, but with extra grunt!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:21:35 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2017, 10:07:08 PM »
I am getting an irrational urge to buy a CL450, there seem to be plenty in the States but like hen's  teeth everywhere else.

/quote]

That's not irrational. "tis a thing of beauty". Not that the smaller variants aren't nice too but the engine architecture wins it for me on the 450.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
The Black Bomber thread
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »

I have the ‘68 round tank  badge CL450 in Blue - they are awesome bikes. Go for it...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
Beautiful bikes..evidently to shift unsold K0 bombers Honda issued 'D' kits to turn them into street scramblers but with high rises pipes either side,chrome mudguards, candy tank etc. It was so successful that they introduced a CL version. 'D' versions are very rare but DS has one in his museum and  had one for sale too a few months back.

http://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1967-honda-cb450d

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:39:10 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2017, 08:12:56 AM »
David Silver just got this in presumably to sell with a whole container load of bikes / stuff. It's got a flip front seat so probably a 1967 manufacture (like James's)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
Oh dear, I may be spending more time down here in the future. Time to practice the man maths and justify to her indoors why it would be silly not to buy another motorbike, after all I will still only have three.

I bought this 1969 CL450, last night on eBay, I mainly went for this one because of the chromework, and it not being weather seized. I realise the mileage should be ignored, if it was real it could be the mileage when Bubba forgot and ran it without any oil in, we shall see when the motor comes apart.

The bars, rear heatshield and seat are wrong (possibly swapped with another CL, maybe the bodywork too), and some hard to find bits have been picked off like the front brake cable and horn. I've already found a NOS cable in matching grey, and maybe a horn. The seat I can get a good Texavina replica from Vietnam, has anyone dealt with these, they have good feedback?

The laquered alloy bits and exhaust, clocks guards, stays etc all look in very fine fettle. A few butchered JIS and some allen screws in the motor.

My mate is picking her up Thursday, then she will go in my mates garage while I get the motor apart to see what we have, and collect parts. At least I also have some Candy Ruby Red paint, bought for the CB750.

I could be sorry I asked, as you rip it to bits, but it is what it is, and I've always thought the DOHC motor interesting. What should be holding those side panels in place BTW?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:23:12 PM by MrDavo »
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
I see DSS has got the Bomber on for £7500 and a CB750 sandcast on (minus exhausts) for £20 000 if anyone is interested.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 01:39:55 PM »
Nice one Dave ..  My mate in York bought two bikes off him (one was a CB750K1) and said he's a decent bloke to deal with.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
Looks pretty good to me for that age,  as you say,  the chrome stuff appears to be great.

Their low mileages seen on some of these,  I was talking to someone who'd bought a 1960's 350 kawasaki twin with very low indicated miles from an American family. Their son had bought it new and his father had disabled it to "save" him from injuring himself when he returned from military service,  from which he never returned.  :'(  sometimes it's true I guess.

Great looking bike, well worth owning.

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »
Oh dear, I may be spending more time down here in the future. Time to practice the man maths and justify to her indoors why it would be silly not to buy another motorbike, after all I will still only have three.

I bought this 1969 CL450, last night on eBay, I mainly went for this one because of the chromework, and it not being weather seized. I realise the mileage should be ignored, if it was real it could be the mileage when Bubba forgot and ran it without any oil in, we shall see when the motor comes apart.

The bars, rear heatshield and seat are wrong (possibly swapped with another CL, maybe the bodywork too), and some hard to find bits have been picked off like the front brake cable and horn. I've already found a NOS cable in matching grey, and maybe a horn. The seat I can get a good Texavina replica from Vietnam, has anyone dealt with these, they have good feedback?

The laquered alloy bits and exhaust, clocks guards, stays etc all look in very fine fettle. A few butchered JIS and some allen screws in the motor.

My mate is picking her up Thursday, then she will go in my mates garage while I get the motor apart to see what we have, and collect parts. At least I also have some Candy Ruby Red paint, bought for the CB750.

I could be sorry I asked, as you rip it to bits, but it is what it is, and I've always thought the DOHC motor interesting. What should be holding those side panels in place BTW?
Good potentail. Looked at that myself and thought good buy for someone. Glad its gone to a good home on here so we can watch progress. Not Jealous  :P
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »
I have a set of CL450 heatshields, NOS.

For which modell is it and how much its worth?
cheers, Uli

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
The more I look at those pics Dave the more I reckon you got a bargain there (particularly if the chrome is as nice as it looks in the pics) and you won't have all of the heartache you got with the 750K1... I notice DS is now importing a lot of bikes to 'flip' over the past year and the number/month seems to be increasing dramatically. So you now have DK, DS ,Freddie & Summerbud shipping bikes in by the bucket-load. Only about 6 years ago I asked DK why they hardly ever imported CB/CL350 twins and they said it wasn't worth it ...fast forward to today and they list oodles of 'em.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
I have a set of CL450 heatshields, NOS.

For which modell is it and how much its worth?
Uli they are for a CL450 K3....probably worth £250 ish?

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »
Ideally I want the heatshields with the fine vertical slots rather than the later ones with holes on the rear shield which are on it, which are the same as Uli's set. If anyone sees a set let me know, I also need a pair of round tank badges, handlebars, a seat, headlamp shell and some gaiters, I can't find real Honda ones yet.

The bike is being delivered tomorrow evening hopefully. The first part to arrive should be the NOS grey front brake cable coming by courier today from DK, that was literally the only one on sale anywhere. I have also bought the correct horn from Germany, I'd better stop till I get the bike!

Looking at the chrome and alloy, I think this bike (unlike many heavily weathered 'barn finds') has been lucky enough to have been dry stored, unlike the bodywork which I think is from another bike, the rusty side panel shows all the signs of being out in the open for a long time, but there's no way the chrome on things like the exhaust cooling rings, and the plating on the pillion rests, have been out in the rain for that long. Alternatively someone may have started a restoration using a few new bits. All will be revealed when the motor comes apart, hopefully in a good way.

Last week I was disappointed to see that a running but unrestored 1968 CL450 I had been interested in had been sold on a classified ad, so I bid the same money on this. As the only bidder I got the bike for £550 less than I had actually bid, so result!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:46:17 AM by MrDavo »
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal