Author Topic: MOT  (Read 3452 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: MOT
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
the MOT test only concludes that the vehicle is in good condition at the time of inspection.  With older vehicles, relying on an annual test alone is foolhardy at best, machines like these need constant attention and maintenance.  Many MOT testers do not understand the complicated requirenents for older vehicles and sometimes apply current rules where not needed.  A tester I have used deemed the rear reflectors on my 1960s Land Rover too small and insisted I fitted additional ones, even though the original ones were the type fitted to the vehicle when it was made.  I tried to explain that modern ruling does not apply retrospectively but he would not back down.  In the end I put some caravan ones on the rear part of the chassis, then took them off when I got home.  He's a nice guy, we agreed to disagree, and so it became an unusual annual ritual.

I am thinking about booking my vehicles in for a look-over once a year because there is something to be gained from having a second opinion about condition and things can easily be missed, but this can be a private arrangement between yourself and the garage.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal