Author Topic: Front tyre ripped - WTF?  (Read 677 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Front tyre ripped - WTF?
« on: September 18, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
I noticed this yesterday to my horror, only the other day I was saying how touch wood I never had a front blowout, we were talking about a friend of mine (Paul Howard, RIP) who passed away some years ago on the M6 after nearly saving a front blowout on an F2 CB750, having wrestled it to the hard shoulder, only to fall heavily.

Not my finest picture, well you try taking a picture of a black hole on a black backgound a mobile, but you can see the tear in the sidewall to the right. If I hadn't been taking the forks off to release the headlamp ears I may never have noticed it.

The tyre has a tube, so maybe it isn't an imminent blowout, but it has to be an MOT failure surely?

What would cause it, a faulty tyre? Would Avon just laugh at me if I tried to claim for a new one?

At least it should tip my hand to get the correct looking Continentals I've been considering.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Front tyre ripped - WTF?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »
I would try to take a better pic,I can't see any impact or scuff marks,maybe it is faulty,

then e-mail Avon and ask if they want to examine it ,

you have nothing to loose
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
That's really weird,  did you put those tires on or did they come already fitted when you bought the bike?

It looks like it's in the place you'd see a rim pinch with big impact but something of that severity usually causes rim damage.

Not nice to realise you've that you've been driving around on it,  I'd not use that.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
Yes it would be an M.O.T. failiure, but worse than that, a roadside pull could get you 3 points and a fine. Don't ride on it again, remember this forum is public, if you're stupid enough to ride on it and something goes wrong, it's here for all the world to see, including your insurers, who will run a mile and not pay anyone!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »
I had the tyres fitted (Avon Roadriders), with new tubes, by SMD in Leigh, who I trust to do a good job, they always fitted and supplied my race tyres. They have only done 1200 miles. I need to drag the bike out into the light and have a good look at the rear as well.

This video is interesting, same tyres, different failure but Avon admitted liability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1NfsauIyUA

Also this from dot net, there seems to be previous for this...

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=123078.0

Sadly Boatofucket becoming a bunch of tightwads does nothing for our road safety as most of the pictures have vanished. :(

Google 'Avon tire cracks' for many more. Scary that I was doing 100mph on the TT course (in persuit of a Commando) a couple of weeks ago.

Don't worry, HG, I'm not riding another inch on them, just glad I spotted the crack.

ETA: The more I read about this, the less I want the tyres replaced with more of the same, sorry Avon, but my confidence is gone, and won't be returning anytime soon.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:05:02 PM by MrDavo »
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
Cant see the hole properly as its not in the centre of the pic, but from years of tyre fitting/selling/inspecting/moting/etc there are only 2 possibilities:-

(1) Impact damage, but i would expect a bulge with that

(2) Bad tyre manufacture

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 06:03:03 PM »
Come on Hairy, I can't imagine anyone reckless enough to ride with a tyre like that. 
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:11:44 PM »
Come on Hairy, I can't imagine anyone reckless enough to ride with a tyre like that.
I'm afraid I don't assume anyone "wouldn't" do something these days. Fairly recently someone on here posted a pic of a badly cracked brake drum, and they were going to put it back and ride it until they found another one. It would be reckless of me not to point these things out, as some people genuinely don't know how dangerous these things can be. Similar thing with someone rebuilding an engine, and replacing a missing/damaged oil gallery plug with filler, an engine disaster waiting to happen.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »
The first paragraph of my OP puts it in context - Ive lost a good friend to a front tyre blowout, so don't worry, I have no wish to join him.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 07:45:22 PM »
Shiiiit....shiiit.. Get some conti's sharpish...

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »
Shiiiit....shiiit.. Get some conti's sharpish...

if that is a faulty AVON,they need to know,maybe it warrants a re-call ,

I would hate my front tyre to fail ,I had a rear wheel puncture last year,that was bad enough
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal