Author Topic: Dual Disk question - not how to  (Read 858 times)

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Dual Disk question - not how to
« on: September 29, 2017, 02:35:27 PM »
I have a K1 here that I'm toying turning into some sort of CR750 rep (on a budget I might add - if this even possible) and wanted to ask a question about the caliper brackets.  I have the k1 fork lowers and K1 calipers and brackets but obviously the left side doesn't fit as it doesn't mirror the right side. I believe the K3 onwards caliper brackets could be used on both sides of the bike, is this correct?

I only ask as I have a perfectly good set of later forks that I may end up using instead of the K1 fork lowers if it's easier to get tot eh dual disk set up by using them and later caliper brackets.

Has anyone done a dual disk conversion on there K3 or older, can they confirm if this is indeed the case

Any help appreciated

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Disk question - not how to
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »
brackets will fit but need careful spacing

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »
I remember converting my 550 to dual disk back in the early 80’s... i used the same parts as on the original setup as the forks were already drilled... so in other words a mirrored set up, it was a 1978 model and I was able to re-assemble the parts as a mirrored assembly. All i remember was being very dissapointed as there seemed to be little if any improvement in performance. I dont think those old single piston calipers are much kop and thats one thing I'm not looking forward to experiencing again when i get my 750k4 on the road. Maybe modern pads make a difference these days...

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »
I've just done my 550 and all I needed to do was use a spacer (washer) on the top fitting to the forks, I then used a gl1200 master cylinder and she now stops on a sixpence!

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
I remember converting my 550 to dual disk back in the early 80’s... i used the same parts as on the original setup as the forks were already drilled... so in other words a mirrored set up, it was a 1978 model and I was able to re-assemble the parts as a mirrored assembly. All i remember was being very dissapointed as there seemed to be little if any improvement in performance. I dont think those old single piston calipers are much kop and thats one thing I'm not looking forward to experiencing again when i get my 750k4 on the road. Maybe modern pads make a difference these days...

The modern pads are far superior to the originals. I was not looking forward to the brakes on my 750F but found they were actually very good compared to how they were back in 76. For a single disc single piston quite impressive really. Just wish I knew what they were.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 09:24:53 PM »
Thats good to hear, hopefully mine will be ok too with new pads and hoses.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 11:08:23 PM »
I have done my 500,

the R/H caliper mount needs careful alignment,

also use a double length banjo bolt on the tree to mount the second pipe,
and a GL1000 master cylinder from David Silver for about £30 sorts the actuation,

stops very well,
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
Cheers all for the replies

I'm going to try and explore the mirrored bracket option as I'm a bit of symmetry geek.  if it doesn't work out then I can always try the later caliper arms/supports and spacers.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 06:10:52 AM »
To get a mirrored bracket you cut one of the mounting bosses(6mm bolt from memory) off the bracket and put a similar size on the other side

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal