Author Topic: My mates DK Bike At Ramsey Sprint  (Read 1246 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
My mates DK Bike At Ramsey Sprint
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:08:39 AM »
Supposed 3k  mile CB500K1  at IOM Ramsey sprint. My mate Chris from York bike he got from DK with 3k miles and told me he won that race (last year he came 2nd on Kwak H1) .. he had to loan my carbs at the last minute so gave them a good test out for me  :D after I ultrasonically cleaned them  (he had to fit oversize main jets though)...   Those horrid pipes are typical of a DK bike ... reckon it had decent ones on when imported (3k miles on the clock) and they snaffled them and put those on.

I swapped the original disc off that bike for my drilled one. I want to swap the mudguard stays next time I see him if he's up for it for NOS ones with the wrong holes!

He's looking for a CB350 twin racer project BTW if anyone knows of one for sale.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:13:16 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: My mates DK Bike At Ramsey Sprint
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
Looks like he's having fun,  what riding them is all about.

Interestingly the pipes,  though as you I think they don't looks good, are one of the configurations that work on a four cylinder. The pipes are best arranged in four separate,  four into one or linked as this one is cylinders 1+4 then 2+3  they can then go into one silencer  for better torque spread if that's what's needed. Slash cut is rarely ever any good for an engine though. And they should never be linked 1+2 then3+4.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »
Definitely what riding them s all about, although it seems surprising to take a 3k classic bike racing  :o ... personally I'd rather see them ridden than kept as museum pieces.

The pipe configuration is the same as those on my usa import, 1+4, 2+3, i believe these pipes are "jardine's" who should know a thing or two about making pipes... and confirms what you are saying.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
He just wanted a cheap 500/4 for sprinting Rob .. various people offered him their restored or ripe for resto bikes but in the end it was cheaper to just wait for the right bike from DK. I spotted the 3k miler and advised he bid on it it and he got it for what I think was a cheap price ..plus it was fitted with a rare K0 seat. it also provided a few swapsies for me like the front disc swap for a my drilled one  :D

Imagine if he had bought a high miler  and had to do an engine rebuild with rebore , shells etc.. would probably have cost near on what he paid for the bike if a pro had done it for him.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:52:35 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
Amazing... just shows you, i would have thought any 3k miler classic honda would attract a lot of bids...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 11:02:08 AM »
Amazing... just shows you, i would have thought any 3k miler classic honda would attract a lot of bids...
It's weird with them Rob .. I got a mint 350K1 from them with original pipes . I didn't bother bidding as I thought it would have gone stratospheric  but there were zero bids so before they had time to relist I was on the blower doing a deal. There was also a really nice.. and I mean nice CB77 on there around the same time and it got 1 bid of around £1,200.  I would have put it as a £2k plus bike all day long probably much higher.

They definitely do rob 'juicy' parts though. A guy I know bought a really nice CB500K0 from them last year .. it was only missing one item .. the shallow grab-rail. A week before I had bought a mint K0 grab-rail from them ... they probably list one of those once a year if that. Bit of a coincidence and not a one off by any means.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 11:14:44 AM »
Yep.... i guess they own the bikes and can do as they please even if it means splitting bikes... they're in it to make money after all... a bike of theirs sold for over 4k last week and didnt look any better than any of the others they've sold recently.... and another decent looking one didnt even reach its reserve.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »
My mate with that 500K1 also got a CB750K1 from Summerbud Classics last year  (he's sold it on now) but he said they were very  straight-forward to deal with and he bought a tiddler two-stroke when he was picking it up,  as the guy did him a good ..on-the-spot cash deal for it.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »
They have an e-bay shop. Two wheel spares, they auction bikes and sell spares in.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 07:14:18 AM »
Gosh
How many members of staff must it take to run an eBay account with 27,650 live items?

I have trouble selling more than two or three at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 08:05:17 AM »
My Moto Parts (eBay) who are the retail section of Hi Level trade parts have a live items of 273,854  ;D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 08:34:15 AM »
Gosh
How many members of staff must it take to run an eBay account with 27,650 live items?

I have trouble selling more than two or three at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always remember this quote to me from Pete their spares guy.   .."The gaffer constantly tells us on NO account must we (DK) upset Mr. eBay '.  It kind of explains their willingness to exchange parts they get wrong or that  buyer isn't happy with. I have had quite a bit of stuff that's wrong but still of value ... invariably it usually works out as "chuck it in the bin we will send you a better replacement".

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »
Well its not always like that Ash. I bought a set of 750K4 carbs off them described as good only to find carb 4 had a big dent in it (and it wasn't transit damage). After emailing DK they said to keep them and they will send out some replacements, these never came. After 4 phone calls and endless emails nothing was done about it. The carbs were saved by a member on here donating a spare carb body. But to be fair to them this is the only time they failed.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
Well its not always like that Ash. I bought a set of 750K4 carbs off them described as good only to find carb 4 had a big dent in it (and it wasn't transit damage). After emailing DK they said to keep them and they will send out some replacements, these never came. After 4 phone calls and endless emails nothing was done about it. The carbs were saved by a member on here donating a spare carb body. But to be fair to them this is the only time they failed.

The trick I used is to telephone (not eBay message or email)  their eBay dept and ask for Becky ... she's been absolutely marvelous at sorting stuff out for me. The actual spares / parts  guys seem rushed off their feet so often don't reply back etc. .....make sure you have the eBay number of the item in question to hand when you call.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal