Author Topic: Petcock size on new tank?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Petcock size on new tank?
« on: April 07, 2021, 11:38:34 AM »
Well after sterling service for 40 odd years my F2 tank started leaking so I've bit the bullet and bought a new one from DS. The description on their site says that the tank requires the USA type F2 petcock, otherwise order part number  16950KCPJ01 (£62.40 inc VAT). 

I assumed that this is the 20mm tap, great! the old one should fit but no. The new tank has arrived with the threads on the tank measuring approx 14mm I thought that Honda petcocks were all either 16mm or 20mm. Plenty of replacement 16mm petcocks around on ebay and there are some 14mm around £20 is this what people are using ? Anyone had the same problem ?

Thanks
Steve
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:47:26 PM by stevush »

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Petcock size on new tank?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »
The picture is showing the threaded section that's welded into the tank, any petcock would have to match those threads at approx 14mm

Thanks
Steve

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 12:50:45 PM »
My tank has a brass part that sits between the tank boss & the Petcock do you need one of those parts ?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 02:32:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that there was a brass reducer to go between petcock and tank, I assumed it was just a straight fit.
Unfortunately I've had to get back to DS today, the tank doesn't fit! Its too narrow and the front  where the tank rubbers locate and wont go over the spine of the frame. I think I'll see where we go from here with DS first then I'll PM you if I need the part as you suggested.

Many Thanks
Steve

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 09:00:36 PM »
Hi Stevush
The DSS tank is a copy of the US spec, I have one myself, you do need to order the petcock as well. I had trouble making my tank fit at all, I seem to have been the first to buy a tank at least from the batch involved. What needed to be done was to shave a few mm off the two circular rubber mounts on the frame so it can slide on, they had to get a mechanic to identify the problem at their end, it seems obviously it wasn't the perfect replica! OK... ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 10:04:53 PM »
The problem I have with the tank is that the lugs to locate the tank onto the rubber mounts aren't wide enough to go over the spine of the frame. I'll enclose pics

Thanks
Steve

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:44:37 PM »
That is how it felt with me too making the true culprit hard to identify. If you reduce the thickness of the two rubber mounts it will go on ok. At this stage the sides of the tank are contacting those rubbers long before the locating lugs and making you think it can't fit over the spine of the frame.
Also, if you get the same problem as I had you may have to carefully with a file reduce the width of the lug that the tank cap mechanism fits onto. I had already had my tank painted professionally by the time I discovered that so I did a lot of masking off first!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:59:16 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »
I've already fitted the filler cap no problem but those lugs for the rubber are definitely the problem.  I've removed the rubber mounts completely and it still wont go over the spine of the frame.  DS is aware of my problem and they've said they'll get back to me today so lets ee where we go.

Thanks
Steve

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 03:02:41 PM »
Jeepers, you've got a worse dud than me then, I bet you're glad you never had it painted!  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 03:03:01 PM »
I've already fitted the filler cap no problem but those lugs for the rubber are definitely the problem.  I've removed the rubber mounts completely and it still wont go over the spine of the frame.  DS is aware of my problem and they've said they'll get back to me today so lets ee where we go.

Thanks
Steve

That is a nightmare as I had DS "New Tank Option"  in mind if I ever needed a new tank I am aware of the earlier tanks not fitting the standard rubbers without adjustment but if yours will not fit without the rubbers in place that sounds miles out not to mention clearing the coils etc.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 05:15:01 PM »
DS have got back to me quite quickly. Apparently they have a similar tank and a frame in stock and they said it was tight... but they managed to fit it. They didn't say if the coils etc were in place, I doubt they were. They've offered a refund but that leaves me back at square one!
I think I'm going to grind a little from the lugs to get it to fit but obviously taking the grinder to a new tank is not ideal. I haven't had it painted yet so not the end of the world.

On the petcock..
There are lots of universal 14mm petcocks on ebay that fit Honda bikes from as little as £12, is the genuine article (16950KCPJ01) very different?

Thanks
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal