Author Topic: CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP, ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD BY JULIE - NOW COMPLETE  (Read 48406 times)

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP, ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD BY JULIE - NOW COMPLETE
« Reply #525 on: June 09, 2019, 12:55:21 PM »
Thanks all for our help . Just have to find where those wires go now ha !

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 13, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
Just a quick update on Hettie. I have done over 2k since the engine rebuild and have had no problems at all. Having had a major overhaul with lots of machine work, I ran her in very gently for the first 500 miles, which was completely straight forward and un eventful. After the 500 mile oil change and general check over, I started putting the engine under more load and stress and gradually increasing the revs and speed, she settled down a treat. Another oil and filter change at 1500 miles. I never did bother vac syncing the carbs as she was running well enough after the carb rebuild with just a bench sync.
The only very minor issue I have had was a very slight hesitation when pulling away, so I whipped the plugs out 2 weeks ago, cleaned them and put them back in. After 30 miles hard ride, I checked the plugs again, No 1 showed evidence of running a bit rich, No's 2 and 3, less rich and No 4 spot on. I had all 4 air screws set at 2 turns out and have now adjusted them to No 1, 2 ½ out, No's 2 & 3, 2 3/8 out and No.4 left at 2 turns out. Another hard ride and plug colour is now uniform and a lovely colour.

This bike is absolutely flying. She revs extremely freely up to the red line, goes in to the red when really pushed, pulls like a train, the engine is very crisp and responsive and sounds beautiful. No more hesitation when pulling away since adjusting the air screws. Absolutely perfect all round. Also, after the front fork overhaul, she doesn't bottom out any more either and with a new back tyre fitted a couple of months ago, she handles superbly. I am enjoying every minute of riding her, she is an absolute pleasure and enormous fun.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:56:21 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 13, 2019, 03:39:25 PM »
I seem to remember that the riders handbook said not to go out of the top of the red band but mention nothing about not going into it!

Ride it and enjoy it Julie.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 13, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »
I seem to remember that the riders handbook said not to go out of the top of the red band but mention nothing about not going into it!

I have resisted going out of the other side of the red Bryan but, that is only because I couldn't stand the flack from Trig, he has a go at me for even getting anywhere near the red 🙄🙄🙄🙄
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 16, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »
After watching such an interesting thread from beginning it was good to see this bike out and about at Crich bike day.  Superb approach and detail for anyone setting out to complete an engine rebuild on a 400,  valuable reference to those following.

Good to meet both you, Julie and Graham there, with such enthusiasm for bikes in general and particularly these 4cylinder Honda.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 16, 2019, 09:41:19 AM »
Just a quick update on Hettie. I have done over 2k since the engine rebuild and have had no problems at all. Having had a major overhaul with lots of machine work, I ran her in very gently for the first 500 miles, which was completely straight forward and un eventful. After the 500 mile oil change and general check over, I started putting the engine under more load and stress and gradually increasing the revs and speed, she settled down a treat. Another oil and filter change at 1500 miles. I never did bother vac syncing the carbs as she was running well enough after the carb rebuild with just a bench sync.
The only very minor issue I have had was a very slight hesitation when pulling away, so I whipped the plugs out 2 weeks ago, cleaned them and put them back in. After 30 miles hard ride, I checked the plugs again, No 1 showed evidence of running a bit rich, No's 2 and 3, less rich and No 4 spot on. I had all 4 air screws set at 2 turns out and have now adjusted them to No 1, 2 ½ out, No's 2 & 3, 2 3/8 out and No.4 left at 2 turns out. Another hard ride and plug colour is now uniform and a lovely colour.

This bike is absolutely flying. She revs extremely freely up to the red line, goes in to the red when really pushed, pulls like a train, the engine is very crisp and responsive and sounds beautiful. No more hesitation when pulling away since adjusting the air screws. Absolutely perfect all round. Also, after the front fork overhaul, she doesn't bottom out any more either and with a new back tyre fitted a couple of months ago, she handles superbly. I am enjoying every minute of riding her, she is an absolute pleasure and enormous fun.
This success story is really helping me get some enthusiasm back for doing some of mine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:51 AM »

I have resisted going out of the other side of the red Bryan but, that is only because I couldn't stand the flack from Trig, he has a go at me for even getting anywhere near the red 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Just don't tell him Julie  ;D ;D ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Mikie

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 21, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
Hi Nurse Julie :)
I've just finished reading through this thread and I have to say you made an excellent job of the whole project.
It's an absolute credit to you. I hope you have many years of safe travels on it.
All the best,
Michael

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2020, 06:36:00 PM »
I've just finished reading through this thread and I have to say you made an excellent job of the whole project.
It's an absolute credit to you. I hope you have many years of safe travels on it.
All the best,
Michael
Thank you Michael. I couldn't have done it without help from him indoors, Graham (Trigger). She rides like a dream and the engine really is fantastic... The bike is no show bike by any means but she's a riders bike which is all I'm ever really interested in. I like all my bikes to look nice but its the pleasure of riding and reliability that outweighs everything else for me 😊😊😊.

Offline 400 Cafe Racer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 03, 2021, 07:30:20 PM »
All the best,
Michael
Thank you Michael. I couldn't have done it without help from him indoors, Graham (Trigger). She rides like a dream and the engine really is fantastic... The bike is no show bike by any means but she's a riders bike which is all I'm ever really interested in. I like all my bikes to look nice but its the pleasure of riding and reliability that outweighs everything else for me 😊😊😊.

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your welcome to me as a Newbie, and please add my congratulations to yourself and Trigger and to all that has been said above by others on this major project. It has been a very engaging one to follow, with superb photos and descriptions, and I share your joy at the end.

After a short ominous engine noise on my newly purchased bike the other day, I think I may have to do a full strip/inspection to investigate if anything is in need of attention and for peace of mind, so your project is a perfect template on what to look out for on these super 400f engines.

Cheers ;D

Dennis

PS. What brand of oil did you settle on please. ?
Retired Automotive Engineer   MIMI, MITRE, DMS, MCMI.

Latest    - 1979 CB400/4  Cafe Racer - Parakeet Yellow
              - 1939 Velocette GTP 250 twin port Two stroke

1988-91 - Lamborghini Countach QV replica design and
                 build - 3000hr spare time project

In 1956 at 12yrs old and dirt tracking
              - 1937 Rudge 500 4 valve
              - 1940s Royal Enfield 225sv
              -  Ex WD Norton 500sv

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal