Author Topic: CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP, ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD BY JULIE - NOW COMPLETE  (Read 49163 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP, ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD BY JULIE
« Reply #390 on: January 17, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
Looking good girly, make sure you get someone videoing you on the first startup (NO CHEATING!, by that I mean don't have it running the day before making the video!) and then watch you ride of happy and proud. Well done sticking with it and not losing your temper and "sort it next summer/year/ decade"  like a few I've seen (and bought from people) over the years.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 17, 2018, 05:55:39 PM »
Oh wow that looks great I am so impressed with you and your work, you have done a fantastic job
I agree with you about not wanting to ride this time of year , I ride every week all through the year but I never ride my classics when there is any road salt of wet I have  a winter hack for that
Once again well done on getting to this stage , I look forward to the start up and ride

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 17, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
The engine is now all complete and the bike is back together, all but the carbs. I wanted to get the carbs fitted and fire her up as I am an impatient bitch but Trig said........ NO !!!. He wants me to wait so the first time I fire her up I can take her for a very long ride ie, 100 miles to start running her in. Now, I am a fair weather rider these days and just the thought of getting out on a bike this time of year for a couple of hours fills me with dread (and covers me in goose pimples !!!!). Therefore, as it's going to be some time before the first start up / ride of the year, I'm going to strip the carbs and give them a good clean, have all the necessary parts zinc plated, fit a new 'O' rings etc. Luckily, I have had these carbs apart a few times before and I know they function well just by being bench synced so will be no problem when I re fit them.

This engine strip and rebuild has been a MASSIVE learning curve for me. I knew my knowledge base was extremely limited when it comes to all things mechanical and engineering but I have always to be able to do basic routine maintenance on bikes and I though this would help but it was of no use to me at all.

It was my plan to do everything myself (except the machine work) and I suppose I did an awful lot of it but I had to keep asking questions like how 'do I do this?' or 'where does this go?' or 'why have I got this bit left over?', 'what tool do I use for this bit' and my favourite was 'no, your going to have to explain it again'. I just did not know enough of basic engineering / mechanics to do this job entirely alone. Using the Workshop Manual, the Haynes Manual and microfiches basically tells you diddly squat, they are books printed for people who know the basics of building an engine and no more.

I have learnt that building an engine is all about measurements, tolerances and individual components working together to perform a function, checking at every stage that something you have just re assembled actually works before you go on to the next component. I have also learnt that if you do it right, you do it once.

I was lucky this was a CB400/4 engine. They are compact, every component fits together really nicely and I can now understand why Ian (Orcadian) says they are like a Swiss watch, they are lovely to work on, everything is a manageable weight and size and feels 'just right'.

Would I do it again? Yes, of course I would if it were a CB400/4 engine. I feel I have learnt enough and gained an understanding of the basics of building a CB400/4 engine that I would probably enjoy it more next time.

More importantly, the damage this engine had sustained and ultimately the reason I did this strip and rebuild has been dealt with.
I have no doubts now that she will run and perform very well once run in and hopefully will be good for many more years.

Not only have I learnt the basics of the practical side of engine building but you guys have been so brilliant sharing your years of knowledge in the diagnostics of the initial problem and sharing your practical experiences, that to me has been totally invaluable. Thank you all so much for your input throughout, it has made it so interesting for me. And thanks for all the 'SOHC Banter' as well, I love it and it makes a job much nicer having a laugh. Thanks to all those that have sent me PM's, emails and texts as well, your encouragement has meant a lot to me.

Could I have done this without Trig, NO, most definitely not. I would probably still be trying to get the mullered nut off the head stud and getting nowhere fast. His theoretical knowledge and more importantly his practical experiences of engineering, engines and in particularly Honda SOHC engines never fails to amaze me. I know he is sick to the back teeth of me keeping on asking questions, wanting to queue jump for machine work and being in his workshops with all the tools out of the chests.

I will let you know when she is going on her first post rebuild run and let you know how it all goes.

Julie
 :-* :-* :-*

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Thank you Julie. It has been very enjoyable and informative. Could I suggest you fill it with your oil of choice just incase you forget and try to start it !!
Best wishes for a wonderful first ride

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 17, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »
Looking good girly, make sure you get someone videoing you on the first startup (NO CHEATING!, by that I mean don't have it running the day before making the video!) and then watch you ride of happy and proud. Well done sticking with it and not losing your temper and "sort it next summer/year/ decade"  like a few I've seen (and bought from people) over the years.
Thanks Mr Hairy.I will get Trig to Video the start up and ride away. I will start giving him lessons now on how to use the Vid function on his phone, it may take some time !!!! ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 17, 2018, 06:03:35 PM »
Oh wow that looks great I am so impressed with you and your work, you have done a fantastic job
I agree with you about not wanting to ride this time of year , I ride every week all through the year but I never ride my classics when there is any road salt of wet I have  a winter hack for that
Once again well done on getting to this stage , I look forward to the start up and ride

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks Pete
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 17, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »
The engine is now all complete and the bike is back together, all but the carbs. I wanted to get the carbs fitted and fire her up as I am an impatient bitch but Trig said........ NO !!!. He wants me to wait so the first time I fire her up I can take her for a very long ride ie, 100 miles to start running her in. Now, I am a fair weather rider these days and just the thought of getting out on a bike this time of year for a couple of hours fills me with dread (and covers me in goose pimples !!!!). Therefore, as it's going to be some time before the first start up / ride of the year, I'm going to strip the carbs and give them a good clean, have all the necessary parts zinc plated, fit a new 'O' rings etc. Luckily, I have had these carbs apart a few times before and I know they function well just by being bench synced so will be no problem when I re fit them.

This engine strip and rebuild has been a MASSIVE learning curve for me. I knew my knowledge base was extremely limited when it comes to all things mechanical and engineering but I have always to be able to do basic routine maintenance on bikes and I though this would help but it was of no use to me at all.

It was my plan to do everything myself (except the machine work) and I suppose I did an awful lot of it but I had to keep asking questions like how 'do I do this?' or 'where does this go?' or 'why have I got this bit left over?', 'what tool do I use for this bit' and my favourite was 'no, your going to have to explain it again'. I just did not know enough of basic engineering / mechanics to do this job entirely alone. Using the Workshop Manual, the Haynes Manual and microfiches basically tells you diddly squat, they are books printed for people who know the basics of building an engine and no more.

I have learnt that building an engine is all about measurements, tolerances and individual components working together to perform a function, checking at every stage that something you have just re assembled actually works before you go on to the next component. I have also learnt that if you do it right, you do it once.

I was lucky this was a CB400/4 engine. They are compact, every component fits together really nicely and I can now understand why Ian (Orcadian) says they are like a Swiss watch, they are lovely to work on, everything is a manageable weight and size and feels 'just right'.

Would I do it again? Yes, of course I would if it were a CB400/4 engine. I feel I have learnt enough and gained an understanding of the basics of building a CB400/4 engine that I would probably enjoy it more next time.

More importantly, the damage this engine had sustained and ultimately the reason I did this strip and rebuild has been dealt with.
I have no doubts now that she will run and perform very well once run in and hopefully will be good for many more years.

Not only have I learnt the basics of the practical side of engine building but you guys have been so brilliant sharing your years of knowledge in the diagnostics of the initial problem and sharing your practical experiences, that to me has been totally invaluable. Thank you all so much for your input throughout, it has made it so interesting for me. And thanks for all the 'SOHC Banter' as well, I love it and it makes a job much nicer having a laugh. Thanks to all those that have sent me PM's, emails and texts as well, your encouragement has meant a lot to me.

Could I have done this without Trig, NO, most definitely not. I would probably still be trying to get the mullered nut off the head stud and getting nowhere fast. His theoretical knowledge and more importantly his practical experiences of engineering, engines and in particularly Honda SOHC engines never fails to amaze me. I know he is sick to the back teeth of me keeping on asking questions, wanting to queue jump for machine work and being in his workshops with all the tools out of the chests.

I will let you know when she is going on her first post rebuild run and let you know how it all goes.

Julie
 :-* :-* :-*

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Thank you Julie. It has been very enjoyable and informative. Could I suggest you fill it with your oil of choice just incase you forget and try to start it !!
Best wishes for a wonderful first ride

Thank you John. Oh yes, I haven't put any oil in it yet.............I knew there was something I  ::) ::) ::)had forgotten

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 17, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »
as above.  this thread has been really enjoyable to follow, and given me the confidence and inspiration to get on with mine. thank you both.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 17, 2018, 06:10:00 PM »
as above.  this thread has been really enjoyable to follow, and given me the confidence and inspiration to get on with mine. thank you both.
Thank you......now get spannering  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 17, 2018, 07:05:33 PM »
Looks very tidy indeed.
Hope it fires up on all four at the first button press and sounds super quiet !.... should do after all that work and sweat.

Seeing the pics, I remembered that I also polished the outer cases on my original bike once the lacquer had gone west. Well, some old hand bench polisher at RR did it for me anyway.

Forgive me (Aero engine background so a proper fussy git) but I couldn't help but notice the clutch cable routing with that round guide clip fixed high up on the coil mounting...Could be a good idea but it may put the cable in a sharper bend and make the clutch action harder?  I think Honda clipped it under one of the cam cover bolts to give a bigger arc as it were. You could always experiment to see if it makes much difference at the lever?

Well done !

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 17, 2018, 07:12:51 PM »
Well noticed Clem. I remember a discussion on the forum going back yonks ago about the guide clip. By what I can vaguely remember the early 400's had it clipped under one of the cam cover bolts and the later models, mine is a very, very late model,  had the clip high up. I may experiment as this is where the clip has always been on mine but never had heavy clutch lever. Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 17, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
I must be noticing more detail in things at the moment.....
been tiling some walls and wishing I was better at it !

Suitably inspired so my Honda will be next .... to get those valves looked at , once have I cleansed the garage bench of all the Matchless bits and boxed them up for a while.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 17, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »
I agree, wait for a decent monsoon to wash the dreaded salt away and for it to dry up again before taking such a tasty looking engine on the road.   Take some spanners with you in case something needs a minor adjustment, such as the gear lever position.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 17, 2018, 07:48:08 PM »
I agree, wait for a decent monsoon to wash the dreaded salt away and for it to dry up again before taking such a tasty looking engine on the road.   Take some spanners with you in case something needs a minor adjustment, such as the gear lever position.
Good idea Mike, I will take some spanners with me. I have got to the stage now where I only pick up two spanners or sockets of the wrong size before I get the one I need, so I will only have to take about 20 with me  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:06 PM »
Thanks Mr Hairy.I will get Trig to Video the start up and ride away. I will start giving him lessons now on how to use the Vid function on his phone, it may take some time !!!! ;D ;D
Jesus is he ready for video on a phone I thought he had only just managed to ring out and text😀😀
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 17, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »
Jesus is he ready for video on a phone I thought he had only just managed to ring out and text😀😀

As you know Paul, Trig is a total Ludite but I will teach him how to do videos............God help us all  ::) ::) ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal