Author Topic: Haynes manuals  (Read 1290 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Haynes manuals
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
Plumbing fittings are usually chrome on chrome which has a different characteristic to dissimilar materials. Also compared to something like brass or copper as a datum, then I can see your reasoning roy. It's different for each material and chrome,  stainless, cad plate etc do change the torque rating of threads when used. As do lubricants and if the threads have been cut with a die or rolled,  which is effectively forged, without which spoke ends wouldn't survive.
There's a whole hidden subject out there of how torque ratings work and how fixings use elasticity to make secure assemblies.
Very true, and very well put. Perhaps the plumbing fitting thing was a poor example.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
I have found glaring mistakes in the Haynes manuals (specially brit models), but as you say also in genuine ones. Haynes are a good low price manual for the person who does his own regular maintenance but need to be read alongside a "real" manual for a full rebuild
Yes Bryan, plenty of mistakes as well. But, how is a novice meant to know what a 'mistake' is if they have not had the practical experience previously to learn what is a mistake?
when it comes to chrome plated bolts these need a lot less as the surface is super slippery.
Since when has chrome on bolts been 'super slippery'. Get two plumbers compression fittings and try tightening them. Much harder on the chromed one. Chrome plating on bolts is abrasive.

My problem with Haynes manuals is that sometimes they carry out jobs in a different way to the factory. I realise that sometimes the factory works in a certain way due to production restraints, but surely the people who designed and built the thing know best. I mean, who is this guy in the Haynes manuals that only has hands. Is he factory trained or just any old mechanic they could get to do it? Ive had real trouble with Haynes manuals over the years, and its carrying on right now with a useless GS1000 manual. I am trying to find a genuine Suzuki manual for that bike just now.

When it comes to metals, i have probably forgotten more than most know, former metalurgical chemist in plating industry.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »
I refer the gentleman to my previous comment.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
Hmmmm....

Interesting discussion about Haynes manuals. As a poor college student I couldn't afford to pay someone else to maintain my little CB125s back in 1975 so that I had reliable transportation to & from Navy College. My saying of 'If someone else can do it, then so can I'  still rings true.

I bought my first Haynes manual not long after buying the little 125 & pretty soon I was replacing front wheel spokes & had the carb apart to check float heights, not because of the Haynes book, but because I found it easy to do. The Haynes has always been a source of reference for things like the torque wrench settings or how to work out which crank bearing shells to buy.

I used the Haynes CB750 manual for my CB750F2, not for the information that was missing for the F2, but because of the wiring diagram in the back. Having the engine apart became second nature after the first time.

I have since rebuilt several engines & complete bikes with Haynes manuals to hand but rarely used them. I tend to keep service interval records in them as I know that I can find them in a drawer in my tool rack easily.

As for the lies that are printed in them....when I have referenced the Haynes Yamaha R1 manual against a genuine Yamaha one, the figures have been lifted straight from one to the other. Only a few figures in the torque wrench settings caused me to question the figures, like the recommendation to do the rear wheel nut up 150Nm, a figure completely out of all proportion to what is adequate. But it was in the genuine manual, so what else is Haynes supposed to use?
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal