Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 1219 times)

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Brake Pads
« on: October 05, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
Now I'm up and running on CB400F (and loving the ride), what is the general opinion on brake pads? Mine is fitted with 1990's Honda genuine pads, but I would like a bit more bite, any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »
E B C pads work well in these old Hondas, also told the pattern one Dave Silver sells are quite good as well.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »
Skim the disc and overhaul the brake system  ;)

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
Brake system has been fully overhauled, I've never had a firmer lever! I will look into the EBC pads and disc skimming, the disc is quite new?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:54:48 PM by thegreatpan »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »
It's worth taking it through a heat cycle as it is before assessing it.

If you take it out and ride with the brake dragging for a few miles to get it really hot,  hot enough so that you can smell the friction material and get it near on fading,  then don't stop it but ride without using if it to let it cool down again. Then assess it for bite and feel to see what you've got.

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:08 PM »
Will do, thanks.

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »
Ive had at least 3 400/4s over the years and can say from my experience that there has always been a problem with getting enough bite, comparing it with a modern bike.
You can eliminate air by correct and successful bleeding of the system- we all have our preferences, but mines to pump the leaver till its rock hard, then release nipple (with some clear bleed -hose into a jar of fluid- to stop air getting back on release. A bit of grease put on the threads of the nipple is a good tip- it saves air sneaking past )

Once you are sure all the air is expelled (and im presuming the hoses are not spongy and the pivot-pin isn't seized) its time to look at the pads.

After a run on new pads with plenty of brake-stops (generally, i found the first one is very poor even though the brake application seems hard)- the pads will START to BED in.

To give an idea, my present 400/4 took a good 2 years before i was happy with it.

I took the pads out after the first 100 miles and i could plainly see what pits hadn't been rubbing on the disc- id say 50 % wasn't on contact.
So, to speed up the process, i filed some of the wear area to assist bedding in and that did it- i now, through trial and error, have 100% pad to disc contact.

Its often the case that the hydraulic bits are blamed or suspect as faulty- but you can get a hard feel on the brake, but with poor stopping operation.

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »

The CB400 really could do with a better caliper.. I'm running David Silver repros, but my daily ride is a Ducati 959.. so its a re education from bike to bike lol.

Does anyone know if there is a drilled disc out there for the CB400?

Offline eem46

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »
Thanks Emiel, I need those in my life!

Offline eem46

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 02:42:35 PM »
Yep! You need this! He is a nice guy, you can buy with or without a core.

Kind regards,

Emiel

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »

The CB400 really could do with a better caliper.. I'm running David Silver repros, but my daily ride is a Ducati 959.. so its a re education from bike to bike lol.

Does anyone know if there is a drilled disc out there for the CB400?
959 Ducati? Don't think you will ever be happy if that's the case. Just re-calibration of brain when on the old girl. Can still be frightening though!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
Personally I find that a tad worrying, after all the core of the disc is stamped "Min thickness 6MM" if you were involved in an accident an insurance assessor would like at that and walk away, and you'd not get a penny! So think VERY carefully before committing yourself. :o :o
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
I always wrap PTFE tape on the brake nipple thread.  It stops anything sneaking past the threads and prevents bimetallic corrosion.   

There's going to be someone posting that this is the wrong procedure but I've done it for years and if works fine.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
Pads must be bedding in a bit, or I'm getting more used to the braking levels. Either way it certainly reinforces the "Roadcraft" style of a planned ride.

Laying the bike up for winter, so that's it for this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal