Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 1202 times)

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Pads
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
Pads must be bedding in a bit, or I'm getting more used to the braking levels. Either way it certainly reinforces the "Roadcraft" style of a planned ride.

Laying the bike up for winter, so that's it for this year.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
Advanced riding style with lots of anticipation is essential with old style brakes.  We've all been spoilt by modern car brakes.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Maybe, but worse than that, would you want to argue the toss with a Police or Vehicle Inspectorate roadside check? They have the powers now to check ANY vehicle at the roadside now, not just PCVs and LGVs, I know how thorough those guys can be!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
dont blame you laying up the bike as the roads start to get covered in salt anytime now.

I layed mine up for about 2 years, oil down bores and the occasional stab on the kickstarter when I went out for a fag in the garage- Id drained the carbs and there was little of anything combustable in the tank when i re-comissioned it in April this year. Fresh fuel and a few whirrs and it started ok and was duly MOT'd with no problems.

However, the brake fluid had gone down and there was no obvious signs of where to.

i topped up and bred a few tiny bubbles but nothing to get alarm about.

The brake has never been good- Ive a few bikes like us all- one of them an R1- Which is very sharp unless the fluids been heated in the sun...

Anyway, I just happened to feel the disc on the 400 and thought it was very slightly tacky...and we get to know what brake fluid feels like having played games with bikes and cars for 45 years or so.

Yes, the seller must be leaking- I ordered a new one and some service bits from DSS (God Bless Him) and the pads were dark in your and rusted to rot. thanks being polite.

Ive replaced the seal, cleaned any crud from the surface on the bit the pads sits into and am waiting to drum up the enthusiasm for a spin on it. Considering I dont purposely ride the Honda in poor weather or on wet roads, i was surprised how rusty the metal-part of the driven pad was.

We shall see if cleaning up efforts are worth a new set or not- those ones were EBC I think back in 2010...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal