Author Topic: Hello from Filey  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
Hello from Filey
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »
Just bought a 1980/1 cb750 k5 I think. Will ask you guys to verify that when take some pics as i'm totally confused with the vin/eng numbers. I've just finished re-building a Yam XS750 cafe racer. It took me 4 long years with the help from the xs750 forum whish was invaluable. At this stage I'm not sure which way to go with the cb. I'll proberbly go the cafe racer root as it tends to be less expensive than original and you know its a one off. I'm looking forward starting the project with your help during the long winter months. Thankyou Frank

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Filey
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
Welcome ... know Filey well ..was there last week. What's that amazing shop that seems to sell everything on the planet ...is it 'Dixons' or something like that !

Ash ... East Yorks.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »
welcome to the fun world of sohc !!

lots of advice and friendly banter

when you get chance,stick lots of pictures on ,

we love pictures !!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
Yes Dixons it is. I'm just outside Filey at Hunmanby Gap down by the beech. I've just taken some pics. Can anyone confirm the model. Ive also include my Yamaha triple xs750 before and after.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
That is a 750F2 or F3, would actually be a 77 or 78 bike. Nice paint colour on the tank! Welcome by the way!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:24:27 AM »
Now I'm totally confused. I was told it was a K5. Reg is 1981. Anymore for the quiz????

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
If it was a K5 it would have wire wheels, rounded tank and side panels, and be a 75 model year, but it's an F2 or F3, could be (probably is) an import, back in the 80's DVLA would register it at the sate it was first used on the road in the UK, but there would be a note on the V5 stating the bike was previously used/registered overseas. Could be worth trying to get it put on an age related plate, it would become tax exempt soon then!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
Hairygit is right. If not a import it could be one that was sold past its model date. Sold and registered later, cheaper as it was no longer a current model and people were then wanting the latest twin cams.

Oh and welcome to the forum I was through there on mine yesterday :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:51:02 PM by moorey »

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
Thanks for that guys, I'm still waiting for the V5, so should make interesting reading. I must admit the wheels through me out as well

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
All K's have a rear brake drum. Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC ;)

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »
I have now got hold of the v5 and it does not show anything about the bike been imported. So one comment suggested that it could be an old model that was registered later. So I'm going with that. Thanks

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 11:40:51 AM »
I know someone with a UK supplied F2 that was effectively old stock brand new and registered in1980 on a V reg plate from new.

So yours could be the same sort of deal,  paint colour looks non std for UK though so either changed or import possible. Although I've never seen a F2 that has different decals from any others, don't know what all market's had.

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 01:02:04 PM »
Looks the same colour and decals as mine Antares Red  [F1] but looks like F2 badge from what I can see and a front mudguard and petrol filler flap painted to match.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »
Looks a mitch and match, if you post the frame and engine numbers I will check my Honda ID book for you

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
My F2 is also V reg. From your one picture I would say it's defo an F2 but with some strange front end bits. The F2 does not have the rubber fork gaiters and the headlamp ears are aftermarket. There are a fair number about registered late. This was due to Honda being unable to sell off the last of the SOHC's so some stuck in showrooms for a couple of years longer than normal. Honda even commissioned the Phil Read Replica's and Sealey Britain's to get rid of a few. This was due to much newer models from the opposition such as the Suzuki GS750. So the 1980 registration is possibly correct.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:23:57 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal