Author Topic: Electrical ?  (Read 809 times)

Greebo

Electrical ?
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:20:11 AM »
Hi guys

I only use my bike during in the day & i don't run my bike with the lights, but the other day I decided to check all the electrics [as they do in an MOT] I noticed that when the engine is not running if I switch the head lights on & the indicators at the same time the indicators don't blink, it also does the same on tick-over but if the Rev the engine they all work OK...this I think is obviously a charging issue ?, the battery is a new Motobatt & is always on a Optimate Charger if stood for long periods...is the regulator knackered ?
if it is the regulator where can I get one ?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
Probably NOT the regulator, as revving the engine makes the problem stop. Do you use electric start? If you do, and it starts okay, you need to be checking connections and earths to the affected items (lights/indicators), though my guess will be wiring/earth to the headlight, as you don't routinely use it, dirt or corrosion can start in the connections and you wont notice it.   
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Greebo

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
Probably NOT the regulator, as revving the engine makes the problem stop. Do you use electric start? If you do, and it starts okay, you need to be checking connections and earths to the affected items (lights/indicators), though my guess will be wiring/earth to the headlight, as you don't routinely use it, dirt or corrosion can start in the connections and you wont notice it.

Thanks for the quick reply !
it does start up no problem usually 1st push of the button & the motor really spins-up... I will check the headlight connections... Thanks again

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
Check all the earths in the headlight shell as well, as being plastic dodgy earth's cause all sorts of irritating issues, if there is an earth tag on one of the large headlight bolts, check, clean and apply a smear of Vaseline to prevent corrosion forming again. Any corrosion/dirt increases electrical resistance, the most likely cause of problems.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:59:24 AM »
Just to add to Harygit's good advice,  sometimes when you get the earth compromised the current tracks through other bulbs to make circuit.

You see some older cars that when they brake and indicate at the same time all of the light cluster pulses together,  which is illustrative of this. If you turn on the headlight without engine running then you may see some other lights like the indicators glowing if you looking carefully. This can help push you in which direction to look.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 04:30:17 PM »
Very common and not normally a problem even for MOT, its usually the bimetallic type flasher can, you can fit an electronic one but not worth the cost to me

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
I run an extra earth return from the indicator,  right next to the bulb,  back to the loom itself to eliminate any bad earth problems. 
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Greebo

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
I have been inside the head light but cant see any lose connections & I cant see an earth to any of the 2 headlight bolts & this is where the front indicators are attached at either side [via the headlight bolts] the jumble of wires looks like a snakes orgy.. :o

I have spoke to the guy who built the bike & he tells me its normal to get this problem .... but I don't think so, its an MOT failure
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:33:37 AM by Greebo »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »
You can put some jump leads to the indicators inside the headlight shell from a good earth on the engine and try it like that to see if you get an improvement.

And Bryan's advice to swap the indicator flash relay, you can get a basic one for things like old BL Mini from local motorfactors to assess this.

Greebo

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
I am going over to see the guy who built the bike for me tomorrow.

regarding corrosion there is non at all.

it does seem like its something to do with the power supply as I only get the indicators going solid only when the main headlight is on & as said before they start working when I Rev the engine.

I will see what he has to say, but not holding my breath, he has already tried blaming the new motobat battery which gives a reading on the multimeter of 13.5 when the bikes not running.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »
Its not an mot failure on a bike as long as they flash with the engine running

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »
I bet you a pound to a pinch of dogshit it's a bad earth.  Try a temporary earth, wire from the indicators (front and back) back to the battery negative and the problem goes away.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »
As previous post, possibly a poor earth connection. The head light shell has a nut & earth fly-lead to support the indicator stem (part ref 61303-292-000) A good clean of all parts may help
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Greebo

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »
Thanks to all for your help...I will keep you posted..

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 05:10:15 AM »
I did fit an electronic flasher unit and now the indicators flash at a constant rate regardless of whether the engine is off, idling or revving.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal