Author Topic: Basket case to Cr750 rep.....hopefully!  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Basket case to Cr750 rep.....hopefully!
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »
Don't believe it looks huge.
I think modern rear and front ends always tend to look a little odd as the frames so spindly.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
Still tinkering away on bits and pieces here.

The front axle was well and truly stuck and was not budging at all with me using an old screwdriver through the axle hole trick.  After much swearing and nearly taking my eye out when the screwdriver snapped I decide to doctor an old socket and use a bolt and two nuts through the hole. Allowed me to get a good purchase on the end while I ratcheted the nut off the other end. After a bit of heave ho it finally came lose.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Also set about the bearing retainer itself in both hubs. I have to admit I got a bit medieval on them to get them out but success - both out, without any damage to the hubs

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I've also despoked the front and rear wheels and put the hubs to one side ready to be bead blasted.  I'm a little unsure as to what rims to go for at the moment, previous CR builders suggestions welcome.  I think it's more about tyre choice and costs than anything else really, what has everyone else gone with?  I like the Sun rims but they're mega bucks

Some immediate things to take care off:

Rebuild the front forks once the rechromed stanchuions are back from Philpotts (cheers Trigger for the donor stanchions)
Rebuild the carbs with the rebuild kits I got from Yamiya
Press bronze bushes into the swingarm
Send cases off to be chemically stripped
Continue with the frame mods

After this, I'm gonna start tackling the engine itself - right where's my Plastiguage!!!

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
Still tinkering away on bits and pieces here.

The front axle was well and truly stuck and was not budging at all with me using an old screwdriver through the axle hole trick.  After much swearing and nearly taking my eye out when the screwdriver snapped I decide to doctor an old socket and use a bolt and two nuts through the hole. Allowed me to get a good purchase on the end while I ratcheted the nut off the other end. After a bit of heave ho it finally came loose.

Used your method to get my front axle out after two weeks of struggling ..loads of heat, big hammer and your socket idea finally sorted it. I also had a drill bit I was using through the axle hole snap and ricochet around the garage, fortunately missing anything important! ...Thanks for the idea and best of luck with your project!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal